[comp.protocols.iso.x400] Availability of PC-based UA

rainer@flyer.uni-duisburg.de (Rainer Bieniek) (10/19/90)

Hi netlanders,

I'm currently looking for PC-based X.400 UA's. Could someone be so
gentle and tell me which products are currently available.

	Rainer Bieniek
--
+- Rainer Bieniek				-+
|  Wilhelmstr. 10 	4100 Duisburg 11	 |

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/20/90)

In a recent article rainer@flyer.uni-duisburg.de (Rainer Bieniek) writes:

>I'm currently looking for PC-based X.400 UA's. Could someone be so
>gentle and tell me which products are currently available.

Retix has both UA's, MTA's and MS's for PC's and PC networks.
The products are also available for Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX and VMS.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.

Erik.Huizer%SURFNET.NL@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/20/90)

Hi,

> I'm currently looking for PC-based X.400 UA's. Could someone be so
> gentle and tell me which products are currently available.

There's several:

- Retix, probably the most widespread, works under a neut MS-Windows
interface (they also supply an Ascii interface, but I have never seen it.

- Torch communications seems to have one (I haven't seen it)

- Nettel (a UK company) has one, which I like very much. It's not windows
based (saves memory with Dos and your budget) (it has a Mac version that is
windowbased of course) and has a nice menu-structured Novell-like
look-and-feel interface. Easy to use for novices and nice for experts.
Supports various body-parts. Works over any fileserver based PC-lan
(Novell, PC-lan etc.)

None of these are (yet) X.400 (88) so none support P7.

The following companies I know are working on P7 RUA's for PC's:

Osiware, Nettel, Retix, Dataco (Denmark)

We expect to finish testing the Nettel product by the end of this year.
This includes a massive "novice user" test. The report will be in English
and available fo who wants it. Just let me know.

Erik Huizer
SURFnet BV