[comp.protocols.iso.x400] OSI Address and ORG name registry

WARNER%ODNVMS@mps.ohio-state.edu (Bill Warner) (11/15/90)

I am in the process of setting up a small OSI network.  I am having trouble
answering one question (Well only one so far!)

How does one register/getted assign OSI addresses and Org names?  As I
understand it there will be a registry in each country.  In most countries this
will be the PTT.  But the telephone network organization in the US does lend
itself to this approach.  The NIST is handling this function for the federal
government.  But where do the rest of us go for this service?

Any corrections or directions would be appreciated.

Thanks, ww3
--
William "Bill" Warner, III (N8HJP)    WARNER%ODNVMS@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Ohio Data Network                     WARNER@OHSTPY (Bitnet)

Stef@ICS.UCI.EDU (Einar Stefferud) (11/15/90)

Here is the contact information for ANSI, which is where you get your
organization registration number and can may someday register your
organizational OSI name.  (MAYBE)

For a while, Lyman Chapin was informally issuing numbers while ANSI got
its act together, but it appears that ANSI is now ready to do numeric
registrations at least.  oting from "Procedures for Registering
Organization Nmaes in the USA"...

The Registration Authority for Organization Names is:

American National Standards Institute
1430 Broadway
New York,  NY  10018

Telephone: +1 212 642 4932
Facsimile: +1 212 302 1286
Telex:     42 42 96 ANSI UI

Please report back to theis list <mhsnews> on the results of your
contact with ANSI.  We are all anxious to learn what happens when people
contact ANSI for this purpose.

Best Regards...\Stef

------- Forwarded Messages

From: AIKEN%OER.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
To: stef%nma.com@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Internet PRMD names
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 06:50:09 PST

Stef

[other stuff removed]

2nd -

I just talked to ANSI and they said that they are not even taking
alphanumeric applications yet (they hope to by 1st qtr 91) but are only
taking numeric applications for now.  So I would think this is why NREN
has not been registered.  I also asked them If all who applied should go
get a trademark 1st and they said no, so I don't know why they sent NSF
to the Trademark office.

[other stuff removed]

bob

------- Message 2

From: moline@gumby.dsd.trw.com
To: Stef@ics.uci.edu
Subject: ANSI Registration coming to past!
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 90 10:31:25 -0800

stef - received this from lyman at BBN.  looks like ANSI is trying to
get their act together.  thanks for you help!  - it's nice to know where
we stand!  later dan

- ------ forw msg

From: Lyman Chapin <Lyman@BBN.COM>
Subject: Re: NSAP registration
To: moline@gumby.dsd.TRW.COM
Cc: jsb@gumby.dsd.TRW.COM, lap@gumby.dsd.TRW.COM, lyman@BBN.COM
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 20:47:38 EST

Dan,

I've just learned from ANSI that they plan to open their official
registry some time this week - so the "offshore" registry is now closed!
Send a note to Fran Schrotter or Beth Somerville at ANSI for details.

 - - - Lyman

- ------- End of Forwarded Messages

------- End of Forwarded Message

Christian.Huitema@mirsa.inria.fr (Christian Huitema) (11/17/90)

No direct relation to ANSI but... INRIA appeared to be the second
organisation to have obtained a numerical Id (2) and to have secured
an alphanumerical id (INRIA) in France following the procedure defined
by AFNOR in its standard Z60000.

The use of the numerical identifier in NSAPs and object identifiers is
defined by the standard Z60000.

The initial reservation was handled by Francis Dupont at INRIA, and was
charged 4500 FF by AFNOR (approx US$ 900). The reservation of the name
will cost an annual fee of  800 FF (US$ 160).

Francis Dupont commented that the current tariff would enable AFNOR
to by all downtown Paris before they run out of numbers -- they have
reserved 24 bits...

Christian Huitema