[comp.protocols.iso.x400] Teletex ORName attribute representation

khiem@hpindda.cup.hp.COM (Khiem Ho) (12/20/90)

In reviewing the CCITT ORName and ORAddress business card
representation document, CCITT seems not addressing two issues:

	* teletex attributes (eg, Teletex String Organization vs
							  Printable String Org)
	* Directory Name representation

Were these discussed at CCITT/ISO meetings at all and some
position taken? There's no statement at all about these
on the CCITT report.

Khiem

grimm@eiche.darmstadt.gmd.dbp.de (Ruediger Grimm) (12/20/90)

 > In reviewing the CCITT ORName and ORAddress business card
 > representation document  . . . .

Does this exist ? Please give CCITT number . Greetings --- Ruediger

khiem@hpinddm.cup.hp.COM (Khiem Ho) (12/21/90)

>  > In reviewing the CCITT ORName and ORAddress business card
>  > representation document  . . . .
>
> Does this exist ? Please give CCITT number . Greetings --- Ruediger

The referred document is Part 10 of the "Report of the Meeting Held in
Munich (9 - 13 July 1990)" by the Special Rapporteur for Q18/VII Message
Handling Systems. This is the official report as sent by the rapporteur
to his distribution list. I don't see a CCITT or ISO number
associated with it.

Regards,
Khiem Ho

JPALME@qz.qz.se (Jacob Palme QZ) (12/22/90)

The general opinion was, I believe, that it is not very important
to be able to represent a postal address, teletex addres or fax
address on a business card in a X.400-encoded format, since it
would be much more natural to present these addresses in the
normal non-X.400 way of printing these addresses.

In the case of directory names, there may be a need to represent
these on a business card, but that would perhaps be a task for
another group than the X.400 standardization group.

Some people claim that there is no need to have a particular
way of representing directory names on business cards, since
directory names ought to be so user-friendly, and directory systems
so clever, that a normal user can produce a directory query
from the normal information on the business card without any
requirement of a special format. I am not sure that I believe
in this!

Stef@ICS.UCI.EDU (Einar Stefferud) (01/02/91)

hello Jacob -- I am puzzled as to why your messages are being posted
with all of the following addresses in them:

	Jerry Sweet <mailmod@ics.uci.edu>,
        mhsnews@ics.uci.edu

> Subject: Teletex ORName attribute representation
> To: Jerry Sweet <mailmod@ics.uci.edu>,

This results in double delivery to the MHSNEWS list, and also sends a
copy to the list mantenance administrator at mailmod.ics.uci.edu.

I am not sure where you are picking up the mailmod ADDRESS.  It will be
helpful if you will stop using it on mail addressed to mhsnews, since it
only increases the burden of administering the mhsnews list at
ics.uci.edu.

address is some kind of local alias at QZ, which should not be
propigated as a global alias, since that will cause even more
duplication of messages as people reply and cannot be sure that it is a
proper additonal address or just an extra leftover local alias (as I am
supposing).

Can you please do something at QZ to resolve this confusing situation.

Thanks...\Stef

philip@beeblebrox.dle.dg.COM (Philip Gladstone) (01/04/91)

Jacob> The general opinion was, I believe, that it is not very important
Jacob> to be able to represent a postal address, teletex addres or fax
Jacob> address on a business card in a X.400-encoded format, since it
Jacob> would be much more natural to present these addresses in the
Jacob> normal non-X.400 way of printing these addresses.

I had assumed that if the data portion of an attribute contained
non-printablestring characters, then it was to be assumed to be in
T.61. I must confess that I don't really see how this would work
internationally as you are supposed to provide both printable and T.61
forms of each attribute.

How about using the numeric userid. Everybody seems to like addressing
fax machines by a numeric id, so why not UAs :-)

Philip

--
Philip Gladstone         Dev Lab Europe, Data General, Cambridge, UK

    Listen three eyes, don't you try and outweird me, I get
    stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

pv@eng.sun.COM (Peter Vanderbilt) (01/05/91)

> From: JPALME@qz.qz.se (Jacob Palme QZ)

> The general opinion was, I believe, that it is not very important
> to be able to represent a postal address, teletex addres or fax
> address on a business card in a X.400-encoded format, since it
> would be much more natural to present these addresses in the
> normal non-X.400 way of printing these addresses.

Does this imply that the general opinion was that the teletex form of
attributes (like teletex-organization-name or teletex-personal-name)
would not be used in regular (F1 V1) X.400 addresses?

On the other hand, what is the problem with teletex attributes on a
business card?  Wouldn't they be printed in the native language form?
I agree with with Philip (philip@beeblebrox.dle.dg.COM):

>  I had assumed that if the data portion of an attribute contained
>  non-printablestring characters, then it was to be assumed to be in
>  T.61.

However,

>  I must confess that I don't really see how this would work
>  internationally as you are supposed to provide both printable and T.61
>  forms of each attribute.

This requirement has been dropped in version 3 of the MHS implementor's
guide.

Pete

JPALME@qz.qz.se (Jacob Palme QZ) (01/05/91)

>> The general opinion was, I believe, that it is not very important
>> to be able to represent a postal address, teletex addres or fax
>> address on a business card in a X.400-encoded format, since it
>> would be much more natural to present these addresses in the
>> normal non-X.400 way of printing these addresses.
>
>Does this imply that the general opinion was that the teletex form of
>attributes (like teletex-organization-name or teletex-personal-name)
>would not be used in regular (F1 V1) X.400 addresses?

No, sorry, that was not what I meant. The use of the teletex
or T.61 character set in attributes is expected to be used, and
certainly the form for putting OR-addresses on business cards
will be able to handle such attributes.

What I was referring to was the X.400 facility for addressing
X.400 messages to non-X.400 recipients. For example, an X.400
message can be sent to a postal address, a telex machine or a
teletex machine. But it would not be meaningful to put these
addresses on a business card in their X.400 format. It would
be more natural for those responsible for postal addresses, telex
numbers etc. to devise their way of putting such adresses on
a business card, since business card recipients may wish to use
these addresses for sending information directly from their telex
or teletex machines, or by normal postal mail, and not from X.400
nets to these non-X.400 recieving devices.

JPALME@qz.qz.se (Jacob Palme QZ) (01/07/91)

> From: Jerry Sweet <mailmod@ICS.UCI.EDU>
>
> I had assumed that if the data portion of an attribute contained
> non-printablestring characters, then it was to be assumed to be in
> T.61. I must confess that I don't really see how this would work
> internationally as you are supposed to provide both printable and T.61
> forms of each attribute.

A person who has different OR-address for national use (including
non-printable string characters) and for international use (with
only printable string characters) is expected to either have
two different sets of business cards, one for national and one
for international use, or else to have the national language
version of the business card on one side of the card, and the
international version on the other side.

Normally, it is not only the OR-address, but also the phone number
and the postal address which differs on different sides of the
card. For those whose native language uses other character sets
than the latin characters, even the character set used will be
different on the national and the international side of the card.

pv@eng.sun.COM (Peter Vanderbilt) (01/08/91)

>  A person who has different OR-address for national use (including
>  non-printable string characters) and for international use (with
>  only printable string characters) is [...]

Interesting... Is there a requirement or expectation that a person must
have at least one address with only printable string characters?

Pete