[comp.protocols.iso.x400] comments, X.400 devt mtg Feb 1991.

kit@gateway.mitre.ORG (03/16/91)

Dear Jacob Palme,
Thank you for your notes on the X.400 development group meeting
of Feb 1991.  I note in particular the text on delivery notices
from X.400 to fax (which I have excerpted, at the bottom of this
message).  I am surprised and pleased to see this, since I have
raised similar issues at the NIST OIW X.400 SIG two years ago (and
had them rejected by the SIG).  The concensus at the SIG at the time
was that the DN went back based upon the MTA's actions, not on the
UA's actions. The concensus was that even if the UA or AU could not
decode the message contents at all there would still have been a DN
sent back to the X.400 originator by the MTA prior to the UA processing
of the message.

In a previous job I had, there was a real market requirement to be
able to determine that the message was really deliverable end-to-end,
which was a problem for fax and telex recipients.  The users did not
want to be billed for an international telex message (for example) if
that message did not actually get sent. For example, if the user typed
an incorrect telex recipient address, the X.400 message resulted in a
delivery notice (DN) at the point where the MTA delivered the message
to the Access Unit (AU), which caused the sender to be billed for the
telex message despite the telex message not actually being delivered
to the end telex recipeint.  We had done a modification to our AU software
so that it delayed the confirmation of the MessageDelivery operation until
after the AU had determined that the message was deliverable to the end
telex recipient; therefore, we could count on a DN to mean that it did
get sent to the telex recipient, and an NDN meant that the AU had
triggered the MTA to do an NDN because the message was not deliverable
to the end telex recipient.

I think that the above description is consistent with what you were
describing for the case of sending from X.400 to Fax.  I just hope
you can generalize it, rather than just limiting it to Fax traffic.

Kit Lueder.