[comp.protocols.iso.x400] X.400 Questions

Will@uunet.uu.NET (03/26/91)

I have several questions regarding X.400:

1) Is there currently any definition of X.400 running over TCP/IP?
Assuming that the various Internet bodies see X.400 as the way to
go (by the way, do they?), then how will they transition from SMTP
style addresses to X.400 addresses?

2) I've noticed that a lot of vendors are using X.400 as a way to
gateway between different proprietary email systems (as opposed to
incorporating X.400 style addresses directly into the user interface
of the email product).  Is my observation correct?  In the case of
using X.400 as a gateway and not incorporating X.400 style addresses
into the user interface, does it then become the duty of the X.400
administrator to setup a correspondence in the gateway between the
X.400 name and each of the corresponding names in the proprietary email
system?  This makes me think that X.400 would be expensive to maintain.

Thanks,
Will Estes        Internet: Will@cup.portal.com
                  UUCP: apple!cup.portal.com!Will

koorland@vancouver.osiware.bc.ca (Neil Koorland) (03/27/91)

> 1) Is there currently any definition of X.400 running over TCP/IP?

RFC 1006 specifies the mapping of ISO Transport over TCP, which is the
most commonly used method of running X.400 over TCP/IP in the Internet.

> Assuming that the various Internet bodies see X.400 as the way to
> go (by the way, do they?), then how will they transition from SMTP
> style addresses to X.400 addresses?

There is a significant degree of support for X.400 in the Internet but not
not universal or even majority support. In any case there is and always will
be a need for SMTP<->X.400 gateways. The mapping between RFC 822 (format used by
SMTP) and X.400 is specified in RFC 987 and RFC 1148, including the
address mapping.

> 2) I've noticed that a lot of vendors are using X.400 as a way to
> gateway between different proprietary email systems (as opposed to
> incorporating X.400 style addresses directly into the user interface
> of the email product).  Is my observation correct?  In the case of
> using X.400 as a gateway and not incorporating X.400 style addresses
> into the user interface, does it then become the duty of the X.400
> administrator to setup a correspondence in the gateway between the
> X.400 name and each of the corresponding names in the proprietary email
> system?  This makes me think that X.400 would be expensive to maintain.

It really depends on the non-X.400 addressing structure. For some (e.g.
RFC 822) there is an algorithmic mapping which requires minimal table
maintenance. For others there is more administrative overhead. However
the maintenance is not prohibitive with any reasonable system since
most address mapping only affects the most significant portions of
the address i.e. at the domain level.

Neil Koorland
OSIware Inc.			  Tel: +1-604-436-2922
200-4370 Dominion St		  Fax: +1-604-436-3192
Burnaby, B.C.  CANADA V5G 4L7     Internet: <koorland@vancouver.osiware.bc.ca>

pcl@pegasus.att.COM (03/27/91)

Will,

In regard to your question to "mhsnews" about email service providers
using X.400 as a gateway to other providers and how that gets reflected
in the user interface - I can explain a bit of what we do in AT&T Mail
(now part of AT&T EasyLink Services).  We do use X.400 to gateway
with (many!) other service providers (other ADMDs), as well as to
connect to some of our customers who operate PRMDs.  It is a gateway,
in that we do have our own (ASCII-based) message header format within
our network, but we also give our users a way of entering O/R addresses
when sending mail out to users in other domains.  We give them a way
of abbreviating X.400 domain names into a single token, but they can
also spell out the complete O/R address if they choose - with either
form, they just have to prefix the address with "mhs!" to indicate that
it is to go through the X.400 gateway (in keeping with our general use
of UUCP-style addresses).  So a (fictional) example address that shows
the syntax for sending to a PRMD user is the following:

	mhs!/C=GR/AD=attmail/PD=Mt.Olympus/PN=Athena

("GR" is the ISO 3166 country code for Greece.
"AD" => ADMD; "PD" => PRMD; and "PN" => Personal Name;
all of this predates by several years the currently emerging
standards on visual representation of O/R addresses.)

Or, if I were originating this on a UNIX (r) system that is linked into
AT&T Mail, I would just prefix it with "attmail!" to get it to the AT&T
Mail service:

	attmail!mhs!/C=GR/AD=attmail/PD=Mt.Olympus/PN=Athena

If there were such a PRMD, we might establish "olympus" as the
abbreviated name for it, the use of which would simplify the above
address to:

	attmail!mhs!olympus/PN=Athena

(These domain abbreviations are only usable, and only visible, within
our network, of course - what goes across the X.400 link is the
standard O/R address form.)

Similarly, each of our users has an O/R address, the most complete form
of which includes the user's unique user-ID.  So my O/R address is

	/C=US/AD=attmail/PN=Paul_Lustgarten/DD.ID=plustgarten

("DD.ID" => the "ID" DDA; we use "_" for spaces separating the
components of a name)

If the name happens to be unique within our customer population (as
mine is), the DDA can be omitted and our gateway will still map the
O/R address into the appropriate user-ID, using our regular customer-
directory capabilities (which are available to any on-line users of our
service).

As you can see, this doesn't entail much administration
of individual names or addresses at the gateway!

	Paul Lustgarten			908-576-2928
	AT&T EasyLink Services		plustgarten@attmail.COM

pays@mars.emse.fr (Paul-Andre Pays) (03/28/91)

> From root Wed Mar 27 01:37:32 1991
> X400-Received: by /PRMD=emse/ADMD=atlas/C=fr/;
> 	Relayed; 27 Mar 91 01:37:31+0100
> Date: 27 Mar 91 01:37:31+0100
> From: Neil Koorland <koorland@vancouver.osiware.bc.ca>
> To: Will@cup.portal.com
> cc: mhsnews@uunet.uu.net,
> 	mhsnews@ICS.UCI.edu
> Subject: X.400 Questions
> Autoforwarded: True

> > 1) Is there currently any definition of X.400 running over TCP/IP?
>
> RFC 1006 specifies the mapping of ISO Transport over TCP, which is the
> most commonly used method of running X.400 over TCP/IP in the Internet.

Agreed but  not only on the internet.
Besides, to my knowledge, this is the only rather widely available
solution (M.PLUS, PP aso..)

> > 2) I've noticed that a lot of vendors are using X.400 as a way to
> > gateway between different proprietary email systems (as opposed to
> > incorporating X.400 style addresses directly into the user interface
> > of the email product).  Is my observation correct?  In the case of
> > using X.400 as a gateway and not incorporating X.400 style addresses
> > into the user interface, does it then become the duty of the X.400
> > administrator to setup a correspondence in the gateway between the
> > X.400 name and each of the corresponding names in the proprietary email
> > system?  This makes me think that X.400 would be expensive to maintain.
>
> It really depends on the non-X.400 addressing structure. For some (e.g.
> RFC 822) there is an algorithmic mapping which requires minimal table
> maintenance. For others there is more administrative overhead. However

This is not completely true.
RFC <-> X.400 does not imply an algorithmic mapping!
It has been proven that only a table driven approach is able to handle
every situation.
two approaches are available:
  1. mapping between internet domain address and X.400 standard attributes
	It has to be table driven!
	The consequence was the RARE/COSINE coordination
	and distribution of the mapping tables. These mapping tables
	MUST be worlwide and installed in EVERY gateway in the world.
	It completely depends on the naming scheme chosen by one institution
   	  a./ in the ISO MHS world
  	  b./ in the internet world

	one real exemple
		internet:	inrets.fr
		X.400:		C=FR; A=ATLAS; P=RRTR; O=inrets;
	no algorithm will "guess" this RRTR value for you!

	the RARE/COSINE tables
	rfc-987.mapping1:O$inrets.PRMD$RRTR.ADMD$Atlas.C$Fr#inrets.fr#
	rfc-987.mapping2:inrets.fr#O$inrets.PRMD$RRTR.ADMD$atlas.C$fr#

  2. the DDA (domain defined attributes) approach:

	DD.RFC-822=foo@inrets.fr; OU=pamir; P=inria; A=atlas; C=FR;
		DDA for the internet address
		plus the SDA of a gateway   (== source routing)
	"/C=FR/ADMD=ATLAS/PRMD=RRTR;O=inrets;S=foo"@inria.inria.fr
		the equivalent in the opposite direction
	No tables are needed BUT some source routing needed!!!

> the maintenance is not prohibitive with any reasonable system since
> most address mapping only affects the most significant portions of
> the address i.e. at the domain level.

The experience shows that the maintenance is rather high
with the first approach (the most widely used in the R&D community)
The tables distributed yesterday are close to 100K big!
The effort to maintain and distribute and install the tables
is HIGH! In my mind the mapping table scheme will not be
manageable within a few (2 3?) years.

	  . need for every gateway to handle the correct mapping tables

> Neil Koorland

Regards

-- PAP

koorland@vancouver.osiware.bc.ca (Neil Koorland) (03/28/91)

>> It really depends on the non-X.400 addressing structure. For some (e.g.
>> RFC 822) there is an algorithmic mapping which requires minimal table
>> maintenance. For others there is more administrative overhead. However

> This is not completely true.
> RFC <-> X.400 does not imply an algorithmic mapping!
> It has been proven that only a table driven approach is able to handle
> every situation.

Your point is well taken. I deliberately oversimplified RFC987. The "minimal
table maintenance" referred to those aspects which RFC987 cannot handle
algorithmically. The point I was trying to make was that there
was no implicit need to have a 1-to-1 mapping for every address , in response
to Will's original question and concern.

>> the maintenance is not prohibitive with any reasonable system since
>> most address mapping only affects the most significant portions of
>> the address i.e. at the domain level.
>
>The experience shows that the maintenance is rather high
>with the first approach (the most widely used in the R&D community)
>The tables distributed yesterday are close to 100K big!
>The effort to maintain and distribute and install the tables
>is HIGH! In my mind the mapping table scheme will not be
>manageable within a few (2 3?) years.

"Rather high" does still not mean "prohibitive", and although I understand
the maintenance burden placed on RARE/COSINE administrators, not every
gateway administrator has to deal with tables of such complexity. It's also
worth mentioning that current work on MHS/Network management and Directory
Services is intended to solve problems in this area in the 2-3 year timeframe.

Regards,

Neil Koorland

Alf.Hansen@pilot.cs.wisc.edu (Alf Hansen) (04/03/91)

Will,

Some quick answers to your questions:

> I have several questions regarding X.400:
>
> 1) Is there currently any definition of X.400 running over TCP/IP?

It is not correct to say that it is an "International Standard", but
"everybody" is running X.400 on top of RFC 1006/TCP/IP, including
the R&D X.400 networks in Europe (who are also running on top of
TP 0/X.25).

> Assuming that the various Internet bodies see X.400 as the way to
> go (by the way, do they?),

NSF is funding an X.400 project here in Wisconsin with the goal to
establish an experimental X.400 service in the Internet. The other
large agencies (NASA, DoE, DoD) are all looking into X.400.

>  then how will they transition from SMTP
> style addresses to X.400 addresses?

You should join the new IETF X.400 Operations WG (list:

ietf-osi-x400ops@pilot.cs.wisc.edu)

We are discussing these problems, and we had good progress at our last meeting
in St. Louis.

> 2) I've noticed that a lot of vendors are using X.400 as a way to
> gateway between different proprietary email systems (as opposed to
> incorporating X.400 style addresses directly into the user interface
> of the email product).  Is my observation correct?

Yes, and I forsee a lot of addressing mapping problems (X.400/
proprietary email system). In the Internet we are solving this mapping
issue for RFC 822 addresses.

> In the case of
> using X.400 as a gateway and not incorporating X.400 style addresses
> into the user interface, does it then become the duty of the X.400
> administrator to setup a correspondence in the gateway between the
> X.400 name and each of the corresponding names in the proprietary email
> system?  This makes me think that X.400 would be expensive to maintain.

X.400 itself it not more expensive to maintain than any other mail system.
A collection of different mail systems interconnected via gateways, is
expensive to maintain. Also, users lose functionality when the message
passes a gatway. My conclusion is: Let us minimize the number of gateways.

I am enclosing the current catalog of relevant documents from the IETF
X.400 Operations WG. Send me a note if you want to be on the distribution
list

Best regards,
Alf H.

Documents and documentation from the NSF X.400 Pilot Project are available
by anonymous FTP. Login with the username "anonymous" and password
"guest".  After logging in, type "cd pub".  Type "ls" to get a list of
documents.

The following files are available:

Last modified   Filename
Feb 22 1991     catalog.txt      This catalog file.

Feb 13 1991     88-to-84-downgrading-kille.txt
Frb 18 1991     agenda-st-louis.txt
Feb 13 1991     charter.txt
Feb  7 1991     country-us.doc
Feb 13 1991     dns-987.ps
Feb 13 1991     dns-987.txt
Jan 25 1991     how-to-join.txt
Feb 13 1991     ixom-minutes.txt
Feb 13 1991     mhs-md-1st-meeting-rep.txt
Feb 13 1991     mhs-md-1st-meeting-slides.txt
Feb 13 1991     mhs-md-2nd-meeting-info.txt
Feb 22 1991     mta-us.doc
Jan 14 1991     na-form.txt
Jan 14 1991     na-statutes.txt
Jan 14 1991     newsletter-1.txt
Feb 22 1991     org-us.doc
Jan 14 1991     prospectives.txt
Feb  7 1991     rfc987-mapping1.doc
Feb  7 1991     rfc987-mapping2.doc
Feb 13 1991     status-cdc.txt
Feb 13 1991     status-xnren.txt

Documents are located at:

     o  CS-Department, UW-Madison
        Address:  mhs-relay.cs.wisc.edu (128.105.8.53)

For questions, please mail to

   c=us; admd= ; prmd=xnren; o=UW-Madison; ou=cs; pn=postmaster
   postmaster@pilot.cs.wisc.edu

osmith@acorn.co.UK (Owen Smith) (04/03/91)

In article <9103251645.2.11740@cup.portal.com>
Will%cup.portal.com%portal@uunet.uu.net writes:

>2) I've noticed that a lot of vendors are using X.400 as a way to
>gateway between different proprietary email systems (as opposed to
>incorporating X.400 style addresses directly into the user interface
>of the email product).  Is my observation correct?  In the case of
>using X.400 as a gateway and not incorporating X.400 style addresses
>into the user interface, does it then become the duty of the X.400
>administrator to setup a correspondence in the gateway between the
>X.400 name and each of the corresponding names in the proprietary email
>system?  This makes me think that X.400 would be expensive to maintain.

Your observation is correct. A lot of vendors do use X.400 merely to
gateway. Yes this can cause a lot of system management overhead (I know
because I had to do it in my precious job). On the other hand, if you
are lucky, or you plan carefully, or both, you can get away with algorithmic
mappings or site aliases with username only subsitution. These kind of
facilities make life a lot easier, although can be restrictive unless you
have full proxy mappings as well. Data General's  DG/X.400 gateway to CEO
has the site alias and algorithmic mappings, but doesn't have proxy mappings.
Data General's CS/X.400 (part of Communications Server) does have proxy
mappings but is rather weak on the site alias and algorithmic stuff. Also
last time I heard you couldn't actually buy CS/X.400.

Owen.

The views expressed are my own and are not necessarily those of Acorn.

Juha.Heinanen@funet.fi (Juha Heinanen) (04/05/91)

In article <910402094828*@MHS> Alf.Hansen@pilot.cs.wisc.edu (Alf Hansen) writes:

   X.400 itself it not more expensive to maintain than any other mail system.
   A collection of different mail systems interconnected via gateways, is
   expensive to maintain. Also, users lose functionality when the message
   passes a gatway. My conclusion is: Let us minimize the number of gateways.

I don't agree with this.  An SMTP mail system doesn't require any
manual configuration of neighbor MTA it communicates with since there
is DNS.  In X.400 world you must make explicit agreements between MTAs
that exchange messages and configure the relevant connection
information manually into the tables.  This is true at least as long
as there is no directory system available for X.400.
--
--	Juha Heinanen, FUNET, Finland, jh@funet.fi, +358 49 500958