[comp.protocols.iso.x400] Anyone using X/Open X.400 API ?

ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) (01/23/91)

Is anyone working from the X/Open X.400 API specification?
Is it still in draft stages or is the final version out?
Does anyone have a copy?  Does anyone have anything online
(for example function prototypes) of the spec?  Also, if yes
what do you think about it?  I would especially like to know
if it specifies an API for the X.413 (i.e. Message Store).

I will summarize if I receive anything useful.

Thanks in advance!

Timo Lehtinen

--
       ____/ ___   ___/    /		Kivihaantie 8 C 25
      /           /       /		SF-00310 HELSINKI, Finland

berlen@teculx.tecsiel.it (04/16/91)

Jerry Sweet writes:
 > Is anyone working from the X/Open X.400 API specification?
 > Is it still in draft stages or is the final version out?
 > Does anyone have a copy?  Does anyone have anything online
 > (for example function prototypes) of the spec?  Also, if yes
 > what do you think about it?  I would especially like to know
 > if it specifies an API for the X.413 (i.e. Message Store).
 >
 > I will summarize if I receive anything useful.
 >
 > Thanks in advance!
 >
 > Timo Lehtinen
 >
 > --
 >        ____/ ___   ___/    /		Kivihaantie 8 C 25
 >       /           /       /		SF-00310 HELSINKI, Finland
 >    ____  /       /       /	Phone:	+358 0 573 161, +358 49 424 012
 >   Stream Technologies Inc.	Fax:	-

Was there any significant reply to this letter?

P.S. I thought to contact the sender directly but no e-mail address was
     included.

email reply preferred.

			O. Berlen
			email: berlen@tecsiel.it
			Tecsiel s.p.a.
			Pisa Italy

koorland@vancouver.osiware.bc.ca (Neil Koorland) (04/16/91)

> Was there any significant reply to this letter?
>
> P.S. I thought to contact the sender directly but no e-mail address was
>      included.
>
> email reply preferred.
>
> 			O. Berlen
> 			email: berlen@tecsiel.it
> 			Tecsiel s.p.a.
> 			Pisa Italy

I sent the following response to Timo which I'll repeat to the dist list for any
others that missed it. As an update, I can add that the Message Store API,
EDI Messaging Objects (so that the X.400 API can be used for EDI), and an
API Tutorial are close to completion.

Yes, we belong the the X.400 API Association which published the
X.400 API in conjunction with X/OPEN, and are currently implementing it
to be offered as an interface to our X.400 product Messenger 400.

I'm afraid the text is not currently available online, but I believe it
is obtainable from X/OPEN and distribution outlets like OMNICOM. By the
way you need the companion OSI Object Management API Specification to
make any real sense of the X.400 API

The X.400 API includes an interface that makes the functionality of a
simple MS-like service available to a UA application, but it is NOT
based on X.413.

Starting this month, the X.400 API Association will begin working on
amoung other things, a P7 API that will be provide access to pure X.413
It is expected to be published before December.

By the way your organization is encouraged to join the X.400 API Assoc.
to work on this. Contact the Secretary Steve Griesmer of AT&T
ph. 1-201-949-4328 fax. 1-201-949-8569) if you would like to join.

Neil Koorland
Director of Product Development
OSIware Inc.
200-4370 Dominion St
Burnaby, B.C.		 Tel: +1-604-436-2922
CANADA			 Fax: +1-604-436-3192
V5G 4L7			 Internet: <koorland@vancouver.osiware.bc.ca>

Stef@ICS.UCI.EDU (Einar Stefferud) (04/16/91)

Jerry Sweet most certainly did not write a message saying he was Timo
Lehtinen!  You are being fooled by some gasteway that is translating
the SMTP MAIL FROM information for the SMTP protocol into FROM in your
received message.  Until this kind of bug is resolved and fixed, you
should all be more carefull about who you attribute these messages to.

It woudl appear that to help with this problem, originators of mail to
mhsnews should include some return address information in the body of
there mail, sicne we cannot depend on the gateways to do the right
thing.

It turns out that Jerry Sweet is only the person who administers the
MHSNEWS mailing list at ICS.UCI.EDU.  He rarely ever sends anything
other than adminstrivia to the list.  Best...\Stef