[comp.protocols.iso.x400] looking for info on x400 platforms

huntting@uswest.com (Brad Huntting) (05/30/91)

Any sugestions would be appreciated.

We are most conserned with:

	Functionality
		Our users will expect to access their mail from desktop
		mac (~450) and sun (~400) platforms.  We will need both
		GUI and text based interfaces to allow them at least
		minimal functionality from dumb terminals.

	Reliablity
		The product should be able to handle several thousand
		messages per day with a MTBF on the order of mounths.
		The hardware platform will be dedicated, and purchased
		explicitly for this application.

	Support
		If we come across a bug we'll want it fixed soon.

	Non-Propriatary
		The product must be able to interoperate smoothly with
		those from other vendors.

	Flexibility
		We need to gracefully gateway to and from the
		smtp/sendmail environment (and the appletalk/quick mail
		environment).

brad

berlen@teculx.tecsiel.it (05/31/91)

mhsnews-request@ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
 > Any sugestions would be appreciated.
 >
 > We are most conserned with:
 >
 > 	Functionality
 > 		Our users will expect to access their mail from desktop
 > 		mac (~450) and sun (~400) platforms.  We will need both
 > 		GUI and text based interfaces to allow them at least
 > 		minimal functionality from dumb terminals.

It should be better to specify:

- how this desktop are connected to the sever (probably using LAN) and
  which kind of protocol are needed to interact: P3, P7 (Message Store)
  or other non ISO/CCITT de facto standard protocols (RPC etc.).

- which kind of services shall be available to the User, for example:
	* handle a local message base with powerful selection filters;
	* use a simple nick-names or have a complete directory
	  integrated system;

 > 	Flexibility
 > 		We need to gracefully gateway to and from the
 > 		smtp/sendmail environment (and the appletalk/quick mail
 > 		environment).

Specify better which kind of administration tools we need:

	- which routing schema you need (look at the ongoing
	  discussion about RFC822 and MHS address translation)

	- how to manage local users

	- etc.