[gnu.emacs.bug] Learning how to administer EMACS, really: nconc

fons@cs.vu.nl (Fons Botman) (10/17/88)

In article <24495@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>   * Things I'd like to see: editting a remote file (ie, use rcp to get
>	   the file, edit it, and use rcp to save it), editting a
>	   compressed file (use uncompress, edit the file, recompress).
>
>Try ftp-find-file for the first.
>
>Try this bit of dangerous magic in your .emacs for the second:

>;; Establish '.Z' as a valid mode
>;; Get various common *roff sources into nroff-mode
>(setq auto-mode-alist (nconc '(
; something deleted
>                               ("\\.Z$" . z-mode)
; something deleted
>                               ("\\.ms$" . nroff-mode)
>                               ) auto-mode-alist))

>--Karl

Perhaps some of you like living on the edge :-)

On the other hand, you can make the above magic a lot less dangerous by
changing the function "nconc" into "append".  The unchanged statement is
harmless if it is executed from a file, but can be disasterous when it is
executed twice as code inside a function (e.g. in a hook function).

Try to avoid using "nconc", one hardly needs it. But if you cant fight down
the urge to do so think twice about giving it a quoted list as a first
argument, Because "nconc" will alter the quoted expression!  I admit "nconc"
saves a few cells, but you will lose it as debugging time when you
absentmindedly use the same trick inside a function.

						The Fons