[gnu.emacs.bug] mail-mode isn't textual enough

Mly@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Mlynarik) (10/20/88)

A user was surprised to find that the text-mode commands (in
particular m-s -- centRE-line) aren't available in mail-mode.

This is particularly confusing because mail-mode calls text-mode-hook
-- one would expect mail-mode to be `built' on text-mode

We fixed this by defining these commands in her mail-mode-hook.
I would think that a better solution would be to fix mail-mode-map's
initialisation to be:

(if mail-mode-map
    nil
  ;(setq mail-mode-map (make-sparse-keymap))
  (setq mail-mode-map (copy-keymap text-mode-map))
  (local-set-key mail-mode-map ...)
  ...)

Other modes which are `conceptually' text-modes (in particular, those
which call text-mode-hook) could be similarly fixed.

[This is far from the first time I've been screwed by the fact the
emacs has only local and global keymaps, rather than a hierarchy of
keymaps which inherit from each other...  Sigh.]

gildea@ALEXANDER.BBN.COM (Stephen Gildea) (10/20/88)

    Date: Thu, 20 Oct 88 10:51 EDT
    From: Richard Mlynarik <Mly@ai.ai.mit.edu>
    Subject: mail-mode isn't textual enough
    To: bug-gnu-emacs@prep.ai.mit.edu

    Other modes which are `conceptually' text-modes (in particular, those
    which call text-mode-hook) could be similarly fixed.

I agree with you about mail-mode, but I don't think you have the
correct general criterion.  Should TeX mode bind M-s to center-line?
I say no.  If M-s is to do anything at all in TeX mode, it should
wrap the line in a \centerline command.  But TeX mode calls text-mode-hook.

    [This is far from the first time I've been screwed by the fact the
    emacs has only local and global keymaps, rather than a hierarchy of
    keymaps which inherit from each other...  Sigh.]

Agreed.

 < Stephen