[gnu.emacs.bug] ^X-O inside minibuffer

klotz@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Leigh L. Klotz) (01/16/89)

I finally figured out the source of a bizzare annoyance.

If you do ^X-O inside a minibuffer, you will get into
a bizzare mode where the minibuffer prompt (Find File,
Switch to Buffer, whatever) will keep being redisplayed
in the echo area, but the cursor will remain in one
of the normal buffers, and you will be able to edit
normally.  The fix is to go back to the buffer (window?)
you originally executed the ^X-^F (whatever) command in
and type ^G there.

Maybe ^X-O should be disabled inside the minibuffer,
just as ^X-2 is.

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (01/16/89)

In article <8901160850.AA03044@total.ai.mit.edu> klotz@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Leigh L. Klotz) writes:

>I finally figured out the source of a bizzare annoyance.
>
>If you do ^X-O inside a minibuffer, you will get into
>a bizzare mode where the minibuffer prompt (Find File,
>Switch to Buffer, whatever) will keep being redisplayed
>in the echo area [ ... ]
>
>Maybe ^X-O should be disabled inside the minibuffer,
>just as ^X-2 is.

  I disagree.  It's useful to be able to go into another window while
doing a find-file, for example, or an eval.  It gives you an easy way
to scroll through the *Completions* buffer, for example.  In 'eval',
you can copy a Lisp expression and then yank it in the minibuffer.

+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "UNIX: Just Say No!"   | "Do worry...be SAD!" |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |                      |
+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

mdb@silvlis.com (Mark D. Baushke) (01/17/89)

>  Date: Mon, 16 Jan 89 03:50:06 EST
>  From: sun!wheaties.ai.mit.edu!klotz (Leigh L. Klotz)
>
>  Maybe ^X-O should be disabled inside the minibuffer,
>  just as ^X-2 is.

I disagree. Leave the feature as it is.

I have found it very useful to be able to go searching in other
windows for elements needed to complete a complex command being
assembled in the mini-buffer (typically when in Eval: mode in the
mini-buffer).

Another use of the feature is when doing a find-file with completion and
having to search the *Completions* buffer when there are too many
entries listed to be displayed in the split window at one time.

Mark D. Baushke                 Internet:    mdb%silvlis.com@sun.com
Silvar-Lisco, Inc.              Nameservers: mdb@silvlis.com
1080 Marsh Road                 Usenet:      {pyramid,sgi,sun}!silvlis!mdb
Menlo Park, CA 94025-1053       Telephone:   +1 415 853-6411 / +1 415 969-8328

wohler@SPAM.ISTC.SRI.COM (Bill Wohler) (01/17/89)

     Maybe ^X-O should be disabled inside the minibuffer,
     just as ^X-2 is.

  no, this is a feature.  this allows you to go into another window,
  yank some text, and insert it into the minibuffer.

						--bw

ag@elgar.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) (01/17/89)

(I just jumped in on this one... didn't see his previous message)

(Leigh L. Klotz) writes:
>If you do ^X-O inside a minibuffer, you will get into
>a bizzare mode where the minibuffer prompt (Find File,
>Switch to Buffer, whatever) will keep being redisplayed
>in the echo area, but the cursor will remain in one
>of the normal buffers, and you will be able to edit
>normally.

Why is this bizzare?  You are telling emacs that you wish to move to
another window.  This is useful, for instance, if you want to read in
/usr/dict/words while you are in a M-x spell-buffer on a word you just
can't figure out (the voice of experience :-).  I'm sure it is valid
in a lot of other situtations, also.

>Maybe ^X-O should be disabled inside the minibuffer,
>just as ^X-2 is.

I'd say leave it in the distribution.  There is local map for the
minibuffer.  Some connotation of:

	 (define-key minibuffer-local-map "\C-xo" nil)

in your .emacs will disable the switch-buffer feature as you want.

Pax, Keith
--
ag@elgar.CTS.COM         Keith Gabryelski          ...!{ucsd, jack}!elgar!ag