[gnu.emacs.bug] dired-flag-backup-files

zeger%abacus@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Zeger) (02/07/89)

In GNU Emacs 18.50.6 of Fri May 13 1988 on hub (berkeley-unix)

I think I have a bug in dired mode, though it seems like someone should have
caught it by now.

Upon first entering dired mode if I type "~" to run dired-flag-backup-files,
nothing happens until I hit any other key, at which time it works correctly.
After the first such try for a particular dired, the "~" functions correctly
on subsequent uses.

Ken Zeger

geoff@warwick.UUCP (Geoff Rimmer) (02/11/89)

In article <8902070123.AA09081@hub.ucsb.edu> zeger%abacus@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Zeger) writes:
>In GNU Emacs 18.50.6 of Fri May 13 1988 on hub (berkeley-unix)
>
>I think I have a bug in dired mode, though it seems like someone should have
>caught it by now.
>
>Upon first entering dired mode if I type "~" to run dired-flag-backup-files,
>nothing happens until I hit any other key, at which time it works correctly.
>After the first such try for a particular dired, the "~" functions correctly
>on subsequent uses.
>
>Ken Zeger

Were you remotely logged on at the time?  If so, that would be the
same experience as I had.  The "~" is taken by the shell (I think) so
that you can type

   ~.  or  ~^D  to logout of the remote login
   ~^Z          to suspend the remote login
   ~^Y          to suspend the remote login, but with output from the
		remote login still coming to the calling shell.

Even so, I still think it's strange that emacs can't override this
behaviour.

Geoff

	Geoff Rimmer, Computer Science, Warwick University, England.
			geoff@uk.ac.warwick.emerald

	"Filthy, if this is supposed to be some sort of joke..."
	"Then it'll be the first on the show this week!!"
	"Shut up, Eddie.  The show's only just begun, and we've had
	 some super laughs already."

			- Filthy, Rich and Catflap, 1986.
	OK, folks.  In my opinion, "Filthy, Rich and Catflap" is the
	best comedy program ever.  So, assuming my judgement is
	correct, you'll want to watch it, right?  So, phone or write
	your local TV station today or tomorrow, and get them to order
	it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE from the BBC, London, England.