[gnu.emacs.bug] X11 hanging behavior with uvaxes, 18.51

allynh@marvax.berkeley.edu (Allyn Hardyck) (02/08/89)

Well, I've seen a few other people ask about this lately, so I guess
it's an already covered topic (not usually being a reader of this list).
Can someone e-mail me if the problem has already been fixed?  As others
have said, it opens a blank screen that only displays text either after
a long wait or by hitting ctrl-C in the parent window.  This doesn't seem
to crop up on Suns.  Thanks for any responses.

Allyn Hardyck
allynh@marvax.berkeley.edu

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (02/09/89)

In article <27941@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> allynh@marvax.berkeley.edu (Allyn Hardyck) writes:

   Can someone e-mail me if the problem has already been fixed?  As others
   have said, it opens a blank screen that only displays text either after
   a long wait or by hitting ctrl-C in the parent window.  This doesn't seem
   to crop up on Suns.  Thanks for any responses.

I've noticed this too -- but in emacs 18.52. I noticed that if you set
display to the internet name instead of the local name, it works.
E.g., we have a host kazoo.cs.uiuc.edu. If I start emacs with
`DISPLAY=unix:0', it hangs. If I start it with `DISPLAY=kazoo.cs.uiuc.edu:0',
everything works o.k.

Any clues?

cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (02/14/89)

In article <GRUNWALD.89Feb8112253@flute.cs.uiuc.edu> grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) writes:
[problem with Emacs 18.51 and X11, where Emacs comes up and just sits there.]
>I've noticed this too -- but in emacs 18.52. I noticed that if you set
>display to the internet name instead of the local name, it works.

 This is apparently a problem with SIGIO on Unix domain sockets in
Ultrix. You can cure the problem by remaking Emacs using s-bsd4-3.h
instead of s-bsd4-2.h.

 Enclosed below is a message I got the last time I mentioned this
problem (and the solution) on this list, which explains exactly what's
going on.

# From: John.Myers@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
# To: cks%white.toronto.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
# Subject: Re: 18.52 and X11
# Date: Thu, 27 Oct 88 11:46:00 EDT
#
# Under Ultrix, SIGIO doesn't work on unix domain sockets.--it's never
# delivered.
#
# Emacs isn't hanging, it's spin-looping.  After doing a select, it
# notices that there is input available on stdin, so it calls a routine
# to read and interpret the input.  The routine that gets called to read
# the input notices that it is being run in INTERRUPT_INPUT mode, so
# assumes the input has already been read by the SIGIO handler.  It
# finds nothing in the input buffer (since the SIGIO handler never got
# called), so it returns and emacs goes back to doing a select().
# Repeat.
#
# The X support forces INTERRUPT_INPUT mode so that ^G will work as
# advertised.
#
# Ultrix sucks.
#
# --
# _.John G. Myers	Internet: John.Myers@cs.cmu.edu
#			LoseNet:
# ...!seismo!inhp4!wiscvm.wisc.edu!give!up
# "The world is full of bozos.  Some of them even have PhD's in Computer
# Science"

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"

cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (02/15/89)

In article <89Feb13.161804est.15497@snow.white.toronto.edu> cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
>[problem with Emacs 18.51 and X11, where Emacs comes up and just sits there.]
>
> This is apparently a problem with SIGIO on Unix domain sockets in
>Ultrix. You can cure the problem by remaking Emacs using s-bsd4-3.h
>instead of s-bsd4-2.h.

 RMS pointed out a problem with this in email; if you make this
change, you will loose the ability to C-g ELisp code when Emacs is
using its own window. You can still interrupt it with a control-C from
the shell you started it in, or send it a SIGINTR signal; C-g also
works fine when it doesn't open up its own window (ie when started
with -nw or on an ordinary terminal).

 I should also have mentioned that this is on Ultrix 2.2; I would
assume it is true for at least 2.0 and 2.1 as well (and maybe 2.3).

--

schoett@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Oliver Schoett) (02/16/89)

In article <89Feb13.161804est.15497@snow.white.toronto.edu>
cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:

> [problem with Emacs 18.51 and X11, where Emacs comes up and just
> sits there.]
>
>  This is apparently a problem with SIGIO on Unix domain sockets in
> Ultrix. You can cure the problem by remaking Emacs using s-bsd4-3.h
> instead of s-bsd4-2.h.

I recompiled GNU Emacs (18.52 + Dana Chee's X11-fixes) with
s-bsd4-3.h on my VaxStation II/RC under Ultrix 2.2.  The problem still
persists.

I remember an article saying that the problem could be cured by a call
to setpgrp to ensure that emacs was the leader of its process group,
but there was no precise information on what to do.  Can anyone supply
the patch?

Oliver Schoett	   Inst. f\"ur Informatik, Technische Univ. M\"unchen,
		   Postfach 20 24 20, 8000 M\"unchen 2, West Germany
schoett@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de	      +49 89 2105 2390
schoett%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@ {relay.cs.net, unido.uucp}