[gnu.emacs.bug] EMACS 18.51 with PTY's on a System V.2 machine

ra@is.uu.no (Robert Andersson) (02/16/89)

I am running EMACS 18.51 on an NCR Tower/32 running System V.2. NCR's
release number is 1.03.02.

I just resently got hold of a pty driver for this machine (it is not
included in the standard OS :-(. For identification, the driver starts
with the following lines of code:
/*
 * pty.c - Berkeley style pseudo tty driver for system V
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1987, Jens-Uwe Mager, FOCUS Computer GmbH
 * Not derived from licensed software.
 *
 * Permission is granted to freely use, copy, modify, and redistribute
 * this software, provided that no attempt is made to gain profit from it,
 * the author is not construed to be liable for any results of using the
 * software, alterations are clearly marked as such, and this notice is
 * not modified.
 */

I changed my config.h file in emacs to #define HAVE_PTYS and recompiled.
Now, everything concerning pty's run just fine except for one most
annoying bug:
Whenever a process terminates EMACS does not pick up and display the last
10-30 bytes output by the process through the pty. If I subsequently open
another connection using the same pty the bytes show up at that time
instead!

Has other people out there seen this problem and possibly can suggest how
to fix it? Thanx in advance.
--
Robert Andersson, International Systems, Oslo, Norway
Internet:         ra@is.uu.no

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (02/20/89)

In article <196@isncr.is.uu.no> ra@is.uu.no (Robert Andersson) writes:
>I just resently got hold of a pty driver for this machine (it is not
>included in the standard OS :-(. For identification, the driver starts
>with the following lines of code:
>/*
> * pty.c - Berkeley style pseudo tty driver for system V
> *
> * Copyright (c) 1987, Jens-Uwe Mager, FOCUS Computer GmbH
> * Not derived from licensed software.
 [ ... ]
>Whenever a process terminates EMACS does not pick up and display the last
>10-30 bytes output by the process through the pty.

That is a bug in that particular driver.  I fixed the bug, but I started
from a radically hacked version of that driver.  I can send the whole
driver source with the fix to anyone who wants it.  Among other changes,
the version I have was modified to work as a loadable driver on the AT&T
Unix PC.  It still works on "normal" SysV's as well.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com