[gnu.emacs.bug] Evanescent messages in minibuffer

pinard@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Francois Pinard) (03/19/89)

In GNU Emacs 18.53.1 of Sat Mar  4 1989 on odyssee (berkeley-unix)

Once in a while, when I am typing in the mini-buffer, I just perceive
a message that is displayed and goes away immediately (probably
because I am typing).  The message does not stay long enough for
having any chance to read it (despite I can catch a few words
sometimes, maybe like "...not saved because..." or "...buffer has
shrunk...").

Typing is some kind of piped process, and if one decides to stop, he
cannot refrain a few queued characters to be flushed out to the
fingers (:-).  It seems that the message disappears at the first
character typed after it has been displayed.

Is there a way to read back these evanescent messages?
--
Franc,ois Pinard                                    pinard@odyssee.qc.ca
(514) 279-0716           ``Vivement GNU!''          uunet!odyssee!pinard

mcgrath@paris.Berkeley.EDU (Roland McGrath) (03/21/89)

There isn't really a way to get the messages back, but what you're seeing
are auto-save messages, like:
	Auto-saving...
	Buffer foo has shrunk a lot, not auto-saving it.
If there is an I/O error in auto-saving, it will beep and tell you:
	Couldn't write auto-save file!
(or something like that), so you're not missing anything exciting.
--
	Roland McGrath
	Free Software Foundation, Inc.

jbw@bucsb.UUCP (jbw) (03/21/89)

pinard@odyssee.UUCP writes:
>In GNU Emacs 18.53.1 of Sat Mar  4 1989 on odyssee (berkeley-unix)
>Once in a while, when I am typing in the mini-buffer, I just perceive
>a message that is displayed and goes away immediately (probably
>because I am typing).  The message does not stay long enough for
>having any chance to read it (despite I can catch a few words
>sometimes, maybe like "...not saved because..." or "...buffer has
>shrunk...").
[stuff deleted]
>Is there a way to read back these evanescent messages?

The message is:

	Buffer foo has shrunk a lot; not autosaving it

No, there is no way to reread such messages without modifying the C
code.

I believe that this is a bug, not a feature.  Check the source code in
src/fileio.c to see if a switch has been added to turn off this
"feature" in version 18.53.  I'm still using 18.52.

--
Joe Wells
INTERNET: jbw%bucsf.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu    IP: [128.197.10.201]