[gnu.emacs.bug] long lines

mcgrath%paris.Berkeley.EDU@GINGER.BERKELEY.EDU (Roland McGrath) (03/21/89)

If a line has exactly as many chars as the window (like 80),
Emacs will continue it with a backslash, so you end up with
79 chars, a backslash, and one char on the next line, when
without the backslash, it would all fit on one line.

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (03/22/89)

In article <8903202038.AA03192@paris.Berkeley.EDU>, mcgrath%paris (Roland McGrath) writes:
>If a line has exactly as many chars as the window (like 80),
>Emacs will continue it with a backslash, so you end up with
>79 chars, a backslash, and one char on the next line, when
>without the backslash, it would all fit on one line.

Which is all well and good until you have to put the cursor at the
non-character in position 81 on the line.

I don't consider this a bug.  You could optimize to only break the
80-char lines when the cursor is at column 81 (not likely, right?).
It would mean that cursor-motion might cause redisplay, though, which
opens another can of dogs.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr