[gnu.emacs.bug] beginning-of-line on empty line acts like end-of-line

dsill@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL (03/22/89)

Typing C-a on an empty line in a buffer and moving to an adjacent
non-empty line using previous-line or next-line causes point to be at
the end of the line, rather than the beginning.

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (03/22/89)

In article <8903211725.AA23807@prep.ai.mit.edu>, dsill@RELAY writes:
>Typing C-a on an empty line in a buffer and moving to an adjacent
>non-empty line using previous-line or next-line causes point to be at
>the end of the line, rather than the beginning.

Hmmm.  In my version:

Typing C-e on an empty line in a buffer and moving to an adjacent
non-empty line using previous-line or next-line causes point to be at
the beginning of the line, rather than the end.

Now I think the latter version can be justified.  (It tracks column
0).  The behavior depends on the setting ot track-eol (nil in my
case).  Maybe it depends on the version:

 GNU Emacs 18.53.3 of Thu Mar 16 1989 on nova.bbn.com (berkeley-unix)

here.  What's yours?
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr