[gnu.emacs.bug] Two More Customization requests and some questions.

Brian.Milnes@CENTRO.SOAR.CS.CMU.EDU (03/30/89)

 Dan,

 I hope that you're the right guy to get this, if not I suppose that bug-gnu-emacs'
reader will ship this on.

 It would be nice if TAGS would try and guess what you wanted to see
with M-. Perhaps a REGEXP could be put in a hook on a major mode dependent
variable to do this.  For example, if "." is my cursor in "(foo (bar x
(* 3 x)) . (bax)) I'd love M-. to default to "foo".

 Second, I'd like to see M-. search the tags in a closest match first manner.
If I have two tags, "P" and "P-FOO" and I do a M-. on "P" I'd like to see the
"P" tag first, as it is an exact (or closer fit).

 Finally, I'm curious about how you are going to build an extendable ETAGS.

 Thanks, Brian

liberte@M.CS.UIUC.EDU (Daniel LaLiberte) (04/01/89)

> From: Brian.Milnes@centro.soar.cs.cmu.edu
>
> For example, if "." is my cursor in "(foo (bar x
> (* 3 x)) . (bax)) I'd love M-. to default to "foo".

The correct way to do this is mode dependent.  How about make a local
binding of M . to find-elisp-tag, for example, which first gets the
appropriate default symbol, then calls find-tag with that.

>  Second, I'd like to see M-. search the tags in a closest match first manner.
> If I have two tags, "P" and "P-FOO" and I do a M-. on "P" I'd like to see the
> "P" tag first, as it is an exact (or closer fit).

This seems possible.  find-tag would make multiple passes over
the TAGS file.  On the first pass it could surround the tag symbol
with \< and \> for an exact match.

>  Finally, I'm curious about how you are going to build an extendable ETAGS.

It is mostly done.  All that is required to build a TAGS file for some
new kind of file is a function that finds the next tag entry in the file.

Dan LaLiberte
uiucdcs!liberte
liberte@cs.uiuc.edu
liberte%a.cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet