[gnu.emacs.bug] RMAIL issues

Stavros.Macrakis@crg.bull.fr (04/06/89)

In GNU Emacs 18.50.3 of Wed Aug 17 1988 on rigel (usg-unix-v):

1. I keep all my outgoing mail in an FCC file.  This is very handy,
except that it is in a format that RMAIL doesn't understand ("\nFrom "
format).  What I would actually like to do is to CC myself, but not
see my own mail in my RMAIL file.  This goes together with my next
suggestion:

2. I would like to suppress the "expunge" operation.  When I "Delete"
a piece of mail, I want it to act deleted, but never be expunged.
There should be a special "really kill it" command.  The problem, of
course, is how to keep the RMAIL file to a reasonable size.  One
solution (which would require a considerable amount of rewriting)
would be to keep the info needed for the summaries in one file, and
the text of the mail in other files, one for "current" mail, and
others for "archived" mail.  But then, it's always easy to suggest
work for others....

	-s

weltyc@cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) (04/08/89)

In article <8904051732.AA04096@vega.crg.bull.fr> Stavros.Macrakis@crg.bull.fr writes:
>In GNU Emacs 18.50.3 of Wed Aug 17 1988 on rigel (usg-unix-v):
>
>2. I would like to suppress the "expunge" operation.  When I "Delete"
>a piece of mail, I want it to act deleted, but never be expunged.
>There should be a special "really kill it" command....

It seems easy enough to use the `o' (rmail-output-to-rmail-file)
command to save files you want to `delete' in an alternate rmail file,
and keep that file compressed or something.

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs | "Porsche:  Fahren in
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu             ...!njin!nyser!weltyc |  seiner schoensten Form"