[gnu.emacs.bug] 18.53 dies after wall on suns

kgk@CS.BROWN.EDU (04/16/89)

In GNU Emacs 18.53.1 of Sat Apr 15 1989 on fred (berkeley-unix)

On both sun3s and 4s under sunOS 4.0, if somebody walls while I'm in
emacs, emacs completely hangs, and I have to log in from another
port and kill it off.

Has anybody else had similar problems, and is there a fix for this
problem?

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (04/17/89)

I presume you are using emacs on a serial line and that you have ALM-2s.
If so, updating to 4.0.1 and getting the patches for the ALM-2 (you want
at least the patches called yapt 5.4, there may be more recent stuff out)
*may* help.  We gave up on ALM-2s and got a terminal server instead.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

weltyc@cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) (04/21/89)

In article <8904160317.AA11975@bimini.cs.brown.edu> kgk@cs.brown.edu (Keiji Kanazawa) writes:

>In GNU Emacs 18.53.1 of Sat Apr 15 1989 on fred (berkeley-unix)
>
>On both sun3s and 4s under sunOS 4.0, if somebody walls while I'm in
>emacs, emacs completely hangs, and I have to log in from another
>port and kill it off.
>
>Has anybody else had similar problems, and is there a fix for this
>problem?

This has worked for me (4.0.1 doesn't help):

*** process.c~  Mon Sep 26 18:18:20 1988
--- process.c   Thu Apr 20 15:57:24 1989
***************
*** 1399,1402 ****
--- 1399,1406 ----
            error("select error: %s", sys_errlist[xerrno]);
        }
+ #ifdef SUN
+       else if (nfds > 0 && (Available & 1))
+       kill(getpid(), SIGIO); /* fixes bizarre error with broadcast msgs */
+ #endif

I believe someone else posted a very similar patch.

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs | "Porsche:  Fahren in
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu             ...!njin!nyser!weltyc |  seiner schoensten Form"