[net.games.rogue] hints

london@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (David London) (04/26/84)

	I would like to add my two cents to this discussion of strategy.
I agree with Chuq about almost everything, but I think there are a few
exceptions to his rules:
	1. If I find good armour (Ac 6 or better) early, I tend to read
scrolls fairly quickly to find Protect Armour. Even then I usually wait
until I have something to identify in each of the categories (potions,
scrolls, ring/staff/wand. However, if I find *VERY* good armour (Ac 8 or
better), I tend to read scrolls as soon as I find them. The possibility
of getting Protect Armour with very good armour is worth the risk of
blowing a scroll. (I have had very good success with these tactics, having
won 5.3 4 times). Also, this may be obvious, but one should always drag
monsters over unknown scrolls to identify the SCARE MONSTER scroll.
	2. I haven't found that a long sword is that much better than
the mace. In 5.2, an unenchanted mace was worth 2d4 (damage), a long sword
3d4, and a two-hander 4d4. In 5.3, I haven't found this to be different.
I have found that without good armour, a two-handed sword won't get you
through the lower levels, but with good armour, even your mace will often
do.
	The one other tactic that I use (also probably obvious) is to start
dropping around level 17.

					David (Guitar) London

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/08/84)

I disagree with a few of the hints. Here are my views on the subject:

>Only kill L/N/I's if you can get at least 7 arrow shots into them.

As long as your strength is reasonable Ice monsters should only need one or
two arrows. If you hit them once you can almost always whap them to death
with one blow. Ice monsters give you lots of experience points (5 normally)
for the level they are at and are neccessary to get the levels you need to
survive deeper. You can't afford to ignore them that much.

>Discard cursed items *immediately* (unless it's cursed armor, like -1 plate,
>which can be spruced up).  This includes bad potions, rings, scrolls, etc.

It is better to keep things as long as possible (without using them of
course) and discarding them only when your pack is full and you find
something you want. If you get hit by a nymph and all you have is good
stuff, you lose something worthwhile. If you have your pack full of junk
there is a better chance of losing something you won't really miss.
Besides, certain 'cursed' things have their own advantages in certain
circumstances.

>Rings of regeneration are
>generally more useful in the earlier stages of the game, to save you from
>hobgoblins, quaggas, and centaurs.  They don't work fast enough by the time
>you are attacking trolls.

if you haven't discovered the fine art of 'running away' then you haven't
figured out how useful regeneration is. It is CRITICAL in lower levels.

>Past level 16, potions of healing aren't much use.  Quaff them right away
>if you are at full hit points; they will add 2 or 3 HP to your total.

healing adds one point. Extra healing adds 2 and occasionally three.
--
From the ledge of the seventh cornice:			Chuq Von Rospach
{amd70,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui			(408) 733-2600 x242

If you let a smile be your umbrella you will get rain up your nose.

chip@t4test.UUCP (06/09/84)

=== REFERENCED ARTICLE ===================================

From: chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach)

>Discard cursed items *immediately* (unless it's cursed armor, like -1 plate,
>which can be spruced up).  This includes bad potions, rings, scrolls, etc.

It is better to keep things as long as possible (without using them of
course) and discarding them only when your pack is full and you find
something you want. If you get hit by a nymph and all you have is good
stuff, you lose something worthwhile.

It is simply *amazing* what one can do with a full pack and
a scare monsters scroll...

--
Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{idi|intelca|icalqa|imcgpe|kremvax|qubix|ucscc}!t4test!{chip|news}

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (06/14/84)