From arpa!rice.edu!sun-managers-relay Tue May 16 14:53:57 +0200 1989
Sender: sun-managers-relay@rice.edu
Date: Tue, 16 May 89 14:53:57 +0200
From: Brian Glendenning <brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca>
To: sun-managers@rice.edu
Cc: slezak@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
Subject: Mystery crashes - (disk related crashes solved)

OK - I've found at least one source of crashes (thanks largely to
kensmith@cs.buffalo.edu who kindly adb'd the core and told me what he
found, which allowed me to track it down).

When we upgraded to 4.0.1 from 3.4 we left (restored) our old root and
/usr on disk to facilitate restoring local modifications. In our old
system the /dev had entries for xy2, which we don't have on this
system (and which we haven't had for a long time under 3.x either).
Whenever anything (find, du, ls, rm) tried to access the first
"nonexistent" directory entry (xy2a), the system crashed. This seems
overly violent to me, but it least it's easily fixed.

There's at least one satisfied reader of sun-managers out here :-)

Brian
--
	  Brian Glendenning - Radio astronomy, University of Toronto
brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca uunet!utai!radio!brian  glendenn@utorphys.bitnet