[gnu.emacs.bug] XMenu

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (05/10/89)

This is kind of pointless to report as far as getting it fixed, but I
would like to warn people in case the problem is more widespread than
just us.

Emacs hangs without response if you try to use the C-SHFT-Left Button
menus compiled with oldXmenu.  It didn't used to -- but now, in 18.54,
Sun0S 4.0.1, X11R3 fixes 1 through 9 and Sun 3/50s, it is hanging
here.  Thank heaven for auto-save.  The interesting thing to note is
that it apparently worked fine in 18.53 with all of the set-up
mentioned above (I _think_ ... maybe not the fix1-fix9).  The only way
to deal with it, apparently, is to kill the process.

On a semi-related note, has anyone else had a problem with leaving
their X Emacs windows alone for extended periods of time?  As in this
scenario:   I'm at work until midnight or so, running two Emacs
processes on remote machines.  I leave work and come back the next
day only to find that the panes of the Emacs windows are completely
white (their background) and not responding to any keyboard or mouse
input.  XKillClient will take care of the window, but ps on the
machine a short while later will show that the Emacs process is
sucking up cpu, apparently trying to address its window or something.
Emacs is the only thing with which I have observed this.  Has anyone
else noticed similar behaviour?

Dave
--
      tale@rpitsmts.bitnet, tale%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu, tale@pawl.rpi.edu

heiser@iis.UUCP (Gernot Heiser) (05/16/89)

In article <TALE.89May9202359@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
> [ ... ]
>On a semi-related note, has anyone else had a problem with leaving
>their X Emacs windows alone for extended periods of time?
> [ ... ]

I noticed a similiar funny thing: Occasionally I have two emacs processes
running on my sun (a 3/60C with 16M memory running SUN OS4.0). After a short
time I regularily notice the system being rather slow due to BOTH emacs
processes eating lots of CPU. This never happened so far with any X clients
other than emacs (although besides xterm and istat I don't normally have
several copies of the same client). My Emacs is 18.53 compiled with all of the
following set: HAVE_SUN_WINDOWS, HAVE_X_WINDOWS, HAVE_X_MENU, X11. We run X11R3
with probably all the "usual" patches applied (plus some local ones).
--
Gernot Heiser                   Phone:       +41 1/256 23 48
Integrated Systems Laboratory   CSNET/ARPA:  heiser%iis.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net

mujica@ra.cs.ucla.edu (S. Mujica) (05/29/89)

Emacs (18.54 with X11 and XMenu, SunOS 4.0, Sun 3/280) hangs when a
mouse button is pressed.  Does anybody know how to fix this?

Sergio Mujica		mujica@cs.ucla.edu
Computer Science Department, UCLA