[gnu.emacs.bug] Simple ones

rob%vixen@CAD.BERKELEY.EDU (Robert M. Romero) (05/18/89)

Dear Bugkillers,

1.   This one should be easy to answer.  It seems to be intentional, but
I have a hard time classifying it as a "feature":

  When I put up a buffer list, it is impossible from simple inspection
to determine what pathname a dired entry is editing.  This is a real problem
when I'm editing five */src directories; I have to Find each one, and figure
out which it is.  However, file entries in the buffer list DO have a pathname,
so the mechanism is there, so it seems to be deleted for direds on purpose.

   Why is this the default behavior and is there (there doesn't seem to be)
a variable that controls this?

2.  If I have a big long mode line with lots of room it seems
reasonable that I could program it to display the edited pathname (if
applicable).  Otherwise, I have to type 10+ characters to look at a
variable to find out.

   Is there (there doesn't seem to be) a variable that controls this?

Thanks,

:-: Rob Romero, user of Emacs 18.53.1

     By the way: Congratulations on a very well-thought out and
appealing piece of software!  We at TCS really appreciate and take
advantage of GNUemacs.  Once people try after using other editors,
they don't go back.

rbj@DSYS.NCSL.NIST.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (06/06/89)

? From: arthur!rob%vixen@cad.berkeley.edu (Robert M. Romero )

? Dear Bugkillers,

? 1.   This one should be easy to answer.  It seems to be intentional, but
? I have a hard time classifying it as a "feature":

?   When I put up a buffer list, it is impossible from simple inspection
? to determine what pathname a dired entry is editing.  This is a real problem
? when I'm editing five */src directories; I have to Find each one, and figure
? out which it is.  However, file entries in the buffer list DO have a pathname,
? so the mechanism is there, so it seems to be deleted for direds on purpose.

?    Why is this the default behavior and is there (there doesn't seem to be)
? a variable that controls this?

Here is what you want. Works like a champ!

To: unix-emacs@bbn.com
Date: 10 Oct 88 21:35:24 GMT
>From: Dale Worley <compass.UUCP!worley%eddie.mit.edu.uucp@bbn.com>
Subject: Improvement to list-buffers

The following change to buffer.c changes list-buffers so that under
"File" it will list the directory being edited by a Dired buffer.
Under vanilla 18.52, the File column is blank for a Dired buffer.
Hopefully FSF will put this in version 19.

*** buffer.c	Mon Oct 10 17:30:49 1988
--- buffer.c.old	Mon Oct 10 17:28:07 1988
***************
*** 1013,1021 ****
        Findent_to (col3, minspace);
        if (!NULL (b->filename))
  	Fprinc (b->filename, Qnil);
-       else if (strcmp (XSTRING (b->mode_name)->data, "Dired") == 0 &&
- 	  !NULL (b->directory))
-         Fprinc (b->directory, Qnil);
        write_string ("\n", -1);
      }

--- 1013,1018 ----

For example:

 MR Buffer         Size  Mode           File
 -- ------         ----  ----           ----
.*  *mail*	   145	 Mail
 *  *Buffer List*  0	 Buffer Menu
 *% toys	   1386	 Dired		/extra/compas1a/worley/toys/
 *  *scratch*	   28	 Lisp Interaction

Dale

? 2.  If I have a big long mode line with lots of room it seems
? reasonable that I could program it to display the edited pathname (if
? applicable).  Otherwise, I have to type 10+ characters to look at a
? variable to find out.

?    Is there (there doesn't seem to be) a variable that controls this?

Several people have posted hooks to do this. I haven't tried them.
Perhaps dsill will point you to the right place.

Since M-p is unbound, I bind it to `pwd'.

? Thanks,

? :-: Rob Romero, user of Emacs 18.53.1

?      By the way: Congratulations on a very well-thought out and
? appealing piece of software!  We at TCS really appreciate and take
? advantage of GNUemacs.  Once people try after using other editors,
? they don't go back.

Sometimes the hard part is getting them to try it!

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?