[gnu.emacs.bug] Documentation bug ?? / etc.

paulr@CSE.OGC.EDU (Paul Reger) (06/24/89)

I really like the GNU emacs editor.  It is by far the most flexible, powerful
editor that I have used to date.

I was trying to learn your so-called ELISP though, and I could not find any
reference to books or manuals on it in you GNU Emacs Manual (Sixth edition,
Version 18, March 1987 by Richard Stallman).  I think this was probably an
oversight in preparing the manual.

Another thing, I heard rumours that you have an ELISP manual, and you are
working on a third book which is on the same subject but on a less
sophisticated level.  I would be interested in purchasing both of these
manuals.  Can you send me an order blank for them ??

On another, completely different, subject, I wanted to suggest some extensions
to the editor that you probably considered putting in already, but I thought
I'd just add to your statistics of 'who, and how many people, want what
extensions':

1. reverse-video-region.  Place region in reverse-video, and back to normal
(toggle).  Most PC editors have this, as well as EVE in VMS, and I miss it.

2. set-width.  I don't know how to explain this one.  My terminal supports two
widths: 80 columns and 132 columns.  Sometimes I want to edit in 80 column mode
and other times in 132 columns. I think it would be super convienient to (with
the flick of a key or two) to go between the two modes.  This would alter the
terminal as well as GNU emac's view of the screen.

3. show-end-of-lines.  In the vi editor, they have a function where you can
display the end-of-lines on the screen in the form:

This is a line$
This is a line with trailing spaces and tabs  	$
The following line is empty:$
$
The following line has spaces and tabs:$
  	$
Another silly line.$

The dollar sign ('$') serves as a verbose indicator of where the end-of-line
marker is on the line.  This would be handy for editting Makefiles.

Thank you

             paulr       (Paul Reger)
     Sequent Computer Systems  Beaverton, OR.
 ... {sun,ucbvax!rutgers!ogccse,uunet}!sequent!paulr

jbw%uswest.com@BOULDER.COLORADO.EDU (Joe Wells) (06/26/89)

Paul Reger writes:
 > 1. reverse-video-region.  Place region in reverse-video, and back to normal
 > (toggle).  Most PC editors have this, as well as EVE in VMS, and I miss it.

Well, it can be done.  I've seen two different ways of doing this, but
both have disadvantages.  The first way involves deleting and reinserting
the region, so it gets into the buffer's undo information, which reduces
how much you can undo.  The second way involves narrowing and then
widening the displayed portion of the buffer, and thus involves redrawing
large portions of the screen.  Both ways have the problem that if you
scroll back and forth, the highlighting (reverse video) is lost.

I agree with you that support for this would be very helpful.

 > 2. set-width.  I don't know how to explain this one.  My terminal
 > supports two widths: 80 columns and 132 columns.  Sometimes I want to
 > edit in 80 column mode and other times in 132 columns. I think it would
 > be super convienient to (with the flick of a key or two) to go between
 > the two modes.  This would alter the terminal as well as GNU emac's
 > view of the screen.

Send me mail and I'll find my copy of the package which does this for you.
Everything you need for this is already in GNU Emacs.

 > 3. show-end-of-lines.  In the vi editor, they have a function where you can
 > display the end-of-lines on the screen in the form:

Put me down for supporting this one also (not that I'd know how to
implement it without breaking everything else).

--
Joe Wells <jbw@uswest.com>
jbw%ketchum.uswest.com@boulder.colorado.edu