[gnu.emacs.bug] Function needed to make all variables buffer-local

kayvan@mrspoc.transact.com (Kayvan Sylvan) (07/15/89)

I was thinking about the fact that some packages in Emacs save their state
in global variables and thus can't be used more than once in any invocation
of Emacs.

One solution would be to have a function that made all the variables in a
buffer be local variables. I have no idea how this could be implemented or
if there are disastrous side-effects I'm not considering.

Any ideas?

				---Kayvan

Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Mountain View, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

kjones@talos.UUCP (Kyle Jones) (07/18/89)

Kayvan Sylvan writes:
 > I was thinking about the fact that some packages in Emacs save their state
 > in global variables and thus can't be used more than once in any invocation
 > of Emacs.
 >
 > One solution would be to have a function that made all the variables in a
 > buffer be local variables.

Yuck.  I'd much rather see the offending packages fixed, even if they
are some of my own.  :-/  How many packages have this malady?