[gnu.emacs.bug] sendmail and aliases

karl@mote.umb.edu ("Karl Berry.") (08/09/89)

(This is Emacs 18.54, and it happens under emacs -q.)

Suppose I have an alias `foo' that just expands to `karl'. Then, if I
use Mail mode to mail to at least two people, one of which is foo, the
message to foo comes back ``user unknown'', the user in question being
foo.

It is clear that the alias is not being expanded.  I could not tell what
was happening in mailalias.el in the few minutes I looked at it.

Has anyone else observed this?  If so, does anyone have a fix?

karl@umb.edu   ...!harvard!umb!karl

nate@hobbes.intel.com (Nate Hess) (08/09/89)

In article <8908090024.AA11206@mote.umb.edu>, karl@mote ("Karl Berry.") writes:
>It is clear that the alias is not being expanded.  I could not tell what
>was happening in mailalias.el in the few minutes I looked at it.
>Has anyone else observed this?  If so, does anyone have a fix?

Yes, I have seen this behavior before.  It is caused by a user error,
however, not a bug in Emacs.  :-)#  If you want to specify more than one
user on the To: line, make sure you separate those users, be they
literal addresses or aliases, with a comma.

--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

woodstock@hobbes.intel.com   ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!nate

kayvan@mrspoc.transact.com (Kayvan Sylvan) (08/11/89)

You have to separate the recipients with a comma.

To: hoho foo

does not work.

To: hoho, foo

does work.