[net.games.rogue] Gelatinous Cubes

trainor@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/07/84)

Does anyone have a physical description or illustration
of such a monster?  All I know is that they are nearly
transparent, and are deformable.  Are they cuboid, rounded,
smooth/covered with debris?

     /     \    \         /
    <Douglas>    >Douglas<
     \     /    /         \

Arpa: trainor@ucla-locus.arpa
UUCP: ...!{cepu, ihnp4, randvax, sdcrdcf, trwspp, ucbvax}!ucla-cs!trainor

guy@sdcc12.UUCP (Guy A. Lewis) (11/09/84)

> Does anyone have a physical description or illustration
> of such a monster?  All I know is that they are nearly
> transparent, and are deformable.  Are they cuboid, rounded,
> smooth/covered with debris?
>
>      /     \    \         /
>     <Douglas>    >Douglas<
>      \     /    /         \
>
> Arpa: trainor@ucla-locus.arpa
> UUCP: ...!{cepu, ihnp4, randvax, sdcrdcf, trwspp, ucbvax}!ucla-cs!trainor

This is the description from "The monster manual, Advanced D & D"

Gelatinous Cube

Frequency	: Uncommon
No. Appearing	: 1
Armor Class	: 8
Move		: 6"
Hit Dice	: 4
% in Lair	: Nil
Treasure Type	: See Below
No. of Attacks	: 1
Dammage/Attack	: 2-8
Special Attacks	: Paralyzation, surprise on 1-3
Special Defences: See Below
Magic Resistance: See Below
Intelligence	: Non-
Alignment	: Neutral
Size 		: L ( 10' cube )
Psionic Ability : Nil
Attack/Defence Modes : Nil

  The gelatinous cube is one of the scavengers not common in dungeons.
Its cubic form is ideal for cleaning all living organisms, as well as
carrion, from the walls and floor of underground passageways. Certain
very large cubes are taller so as to be able to garner mosses and the
like from ceilings as well.

  Gelatinous cubes are nearly trasparent and are difficult to see (thus
surprise on 1-3). As these monsters travel about they sweep up metalic
and other items which are "indigestible" to them. This includes treasure
types J, K, L, M, N, Q, as well as a potion, dagger, or similar items.
Such material will remain in the body of the gelatinous cube for several
weeks before being cast out (thus deposited somewhere on the floor).

  If a gelatinous cube touches (hits) an opponent, a saving throw versus
paralyzation must be made, or the creature touched is anesthetized for
5-20 melee rounds. The `cube' then surrounds the victum, secretes
digestive fluids, and digests a meal. Damage caused to oponents is due
to the digestive secretions.

 Gelatinous cubes can be hit by all forms of weapons, and attacks by
fire have normal effects. Cold will have no effect on these monsters
unless they fail their saving throw, in which they are slowed 50% and do
only 1-4 hit points of damage. Electricity, fear, holds, paralization,
polymorph, and sleep based attacks have no effect on gelatinous cubes.

--

	ihnp4	\
	akgva	 \

	All good things must come to an en....

tom@uwai.UUCP (11/11/84)

> Does anyone have a physical description or illustration
> of such a monster?  All I know is that they are nearly
> transparent, and are deformable.  Are they cuboid, rounded,
> smooth/covered with debris?

Assuming that the authors took the Monster Manual(c) by TSR(tm) as their
source, a gelatinous cube is a large, nearly transparent *cube* that
gobbles up things in its path, is exceedingly difficult to spot, and whose
touch is detrimental to your moblility.  Seems to me that the gelatinous
cube first appeared in Greyhawk(c) many years ago from the infamous
dungeon of Gary Gygax(tm).  (No really, he trademarked his name.)

tom
--

Tom Christiansen
University of Wisconsin

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron) (11/12/84)

[] From: trainor@ucla-cs.UUCP
[] Subject: Gelatinous Cubes

[] Does anyone have a physical description or illustration
[] of such a monster?  All I know is that they are nearly
[] transparent, and are deformable.  Are they cuboid, rounded,
[] smooth/covered with debris?

[]      /     \    \         /
[]     <Douglas>    >Douglas<
[]      \     /    /         \

[] Arpa: trainor@ucla-locus.arpa
[] UUCP: ...!{cepu, ihnp4, randvax, sdcrdcf, trwspp, ucbvax}!ucla-cs!trainor

Look in the AD&D monster manual.  There is a (poor) picture of one in there.
They are cubiod by that picture.

David Herron
Phone:	(606) 257-4244 (phone will be answered as "Vax Lab", usually).
	(606) 254-7820
                         /------- Arpa-Net
	unmvax----\     /
	research   >---/----------------/----------- anlams!ukma!david
	boulder---/                    /
	             decvax!ucbvax ---/   (or cbosgd!hasmed!qusavx!ukma!david)

For arpa-net, anlams has the name ANL-MCS.  (i.e. use "ukma!david@ANL-MCS").
I have been having intermittent problems with this address though.

kay@flame.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (11/14/84)

Yeah, look in the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (TM, etc, etc) Monster Manual
(TM, etc, etc) for the appropriate info.
						Kay.
--
"Serendipity: finding something useful on the net"

			... mcvax!ukc!qtlon!flame!ubu!kay