[gnu.emacs.bug] Problem with ispell

erik@mpx2.UUCP (Erik Murrey) (01/08/89)

[ it seems that my postings aren't making it out, so here goes again... ]

I am having problems with "ispell", as picked up from osu-cis.  It
seems that the emacs-lisp fron-end is *not* passing one word per line
to the ispell server process.  Instead, it is passing *entire* lines
of text.

I am not an emacs-lisp expert, so I don't pretend to understand the
code.  It seems to be doing a "forward-word" each time, and writing
that word out to the server (actually, a temporary buffer).

Did I miss a patch?

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Erik Murrey                            /|   //  /~~~~/  |  /
MPX Data Systems, Inc.                / | / /  /____/   |/

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (01/09/89)

In article <333@mpx2.UUCP> erik@mpx2.UUCP (Erik Murrey) writes:

>[ it seems that my postings aren't making it out, so here goes again... ]
This one did!

>I am having problems with "ispell", as picked up from osu-cis.  It
>seems that the emacs-lisp fron-end is *not* passing one word per line
>to the ispell server process.  Instead, it is passing *entire* lines
>of text.

Yes, this is a problem with some versions of ispell.  There are a
couple of lines in ispell.el that should say:

(defvar ispell-filter-hook-args '("-cs" "[A-Z][a-z]" "[\012*]")
  "Argument LIST to pass to ispell-filter-hook")

I'm sorry, I do not have the original source for this line. It is
really close but not quite right.  Make this change and byte-compile
ispell.el and everything should work.

BTW:  The error is in the hook-args.

--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University

erik@mpx2.UUCP (Erik Murrey) (01/11/89)

[ if you read my previous diff, it was incorrect.  Sorry... ]

In article <527@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> terry@eecea.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
>In article <333@mpx2.UUCP> erik@mpx2.UUCP (Erik Murrey) writes:
>>
>> [ I describe how ispell doesn't work ]
>>
>Yes, this is a problem with some versions of ispell.  There are a
>couple of lines in ispell.el that should say:
>
>(defvar ispell-filter-hook-args '("-cs" "[A-Z][a-z]" "[\012*]")
>  "Argument LIST to pass to ispell-filter-hook")

Yes, this is the problem, thanks!

The actual diff (for me) is:
(Note that the double backslash is needed so that emacs
doesn't strip it out before sending to "tr")

*** /tmp/ispell.el	Fri Nov 18 00:57:03 1988
--- .emacs-lib/ispell.el	Tue Jan 10 12:33:08 1989
***************
*** 298,304
  deroff, detex, etc.")
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'ispell-filter-hook)

! (defvar ispell-filter-hook-args '("-cs" "A-Za-z" "\012")
    "Argument LIST to pass to ispell-filter-hook")
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'ispell-filter-hook-args)

kayvan@APPLE.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (01/11/89)

   From: (Erik Murrey)
   Sender: apple!prep.ai.mit.edu!bug-gnu-emacs-request

   [ it seems that my postings aren't making it out, so here goes again... ]

   I am having problems with "ispell", as picked up from osu-cis.  It
   seems that the emacs-lisp fron-end is *not* passing one word per line
   to the ispell server process.  Instead, it is passing *entire* lines
   of text.

Look at the ispell-filter-hook and ispell-filter-hook-args values in
ispell.el.

My values here are "tr" for ispell-filter-hook and
for ispell-filter-hook-args '("-cs" "[A-Z][a-z]" "[\\012*]")

The two values work in concert to break up the buffer into single
words to be fed to ispell.

			---Kayvan

mlittman@WIND.BELLCORE.COM (Michael L. Littman) (09/26/89)

Hi,

Has anyone improved ispell.el to take care of these problems?

1. Sometimes the phrase "Can't find word so-and-so" appears because of
some synchronization between the words in the buffer and the words
passed through ispell.

2. The program sometimes gets very confused if you quit out in the
middle using control-g.

-Michael