[gnu.emacs.bug] Bug in apropos

mfuller@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Mike J. Fuller) (11/26/89)

The other day I wanted to find out all functions and variables that
had to do specifically with "nil" (why I don't remember; had it
worked, the result probably would have been real big).  So I did a
"M-x apropos" and responded with "nil".  The result was garbage.  I
deleted the buffer and tried again, and emacs died from a segmentation
violation.  I didn't save the core file (it was around 9M).  I
repeated this feat several times with varying degrees of difficulty
(ie., some times it took many tries before emacs dumped core).  This
was with GNUemacs version 18.55 on a Sun4 running SunOS 4.0.3.  I
figured I'd try to reproduce it on another machine, so I tried with
GNUemacs version 18.55 on an Amdahl running UTS580-1.2.4, and couldn't
get it to dump core, but I did get it real confused.  Once I got the
message:
Wrong type argument: natnump, #<EMACS BUG: ILLEGAL DATATYPE (#o 44) Save your b

Anyway, I can live without knowing all the functions and variables
having to do with "nil", but this is nonetheless a bug (and from the
looks of it, a rather low level bug).

| Mike J. Fuller |Internet: mikef@sarah.lerc.nasa.gov     |You'd be paranoid, |
|----------------|          mikef@zippysun.math.uakron.edu|too, if everyone   |
|/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\|Bitnet:   r3mjf1@akronvm                |was out to get you!|
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

cwitty@csli.Stanford.EDU (Carl Witty) (11/28/89)

In article <3947@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, mfuller@prandtl (Mike J. Fuller) writes:
>[Trying (apropos "nil") sometimes core dumps emacs, sometimes gives
> garbage, and sometimes gives illegal datatype errors.]

I can reproduce this bug (Emacs 18.55, Sun 4, SunOS 4.0.?), although I
couldn't get Emacs to core dump.  I noticed that every time it messed
up (giving garbage or illegal datatype errors), it had done a garbage
collection during the execution of (apropos "nil"), although it did
occasionally do a garbage collection without messing up the apropos.
Looks like apropos isn't handling garbage collection protection
correctly.

Carl Witty
cwitty@csli.Stanford.EDU

jbw%bucsf.BU.EDU@BU-IT.BU.EDU (Joe Wells) (11/29/89)

Mike J. Fuller writes:
 [describes problem with M-x apropos RET nil RET]

Works fine on this system:

    GNU Emacs 18.55 on Encore Multimax running UMAX 4.2

Good luck, sounds like an ugly problem.

--
Joe Wells <jbw@bucsf.bu.edu>
jbw%bucsf.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu