[gnu.emacs.bug] C-g under Xenix

dan@APPLE.COM (11/19/89)

I am running emacs 18.54 under Xenix 2.3.2.  Whenever or wherever I
type C-g it seems to interrupt all processes that are running under
emacs.  The shell buffer will print a new prompt, and if a program is
executing in the shell buffer, that process gets an interrupt signal
and aborts.  A compilation started with (compile) is interrupted.  The
time and load display aborts.

Further (and related?), the C-c C-c and C-c C-d keys don't seem to do
anything in the shell buffer; definitely not their ascribed functions
of sending interrupt and EOF to the shell process.  In their absence,
I had been using the misplaced effect of C-g to interrupt a shell
process, but losing the time display is annoying and having a
concurrent compilation abort as another side effect is cause for
grumbling.

The effects are the same whether the shell is the standard Xenix
Bourne shell or the MKS Korn shell.  I am not a csh user, so I haven't
tried it with that.

...I can elaborate a little on the C-c C-d....  When it is typed, nothing
appears to happen, but if return is pressed the shell prints the message:

^D: not found

Any light you can shed will be appreciated.

Dan Everhart // Dynamic Data & Electronics // Edmonds, WA
                UUCP: {sun,uw-beaver}!fluke!dyndata!dan
                "...it's turtles all the way down."

dan@APPLE.COM (11/19/89)

I will add one more piece of information to my previous message
regarding processes aborting when C-g is typed.  I said the OS
is Xenix 2.3.2; I should have been more specific: Xenix 386 2.3.2.

t31662k@kaira.hut.fi (Andreas Gustafsson) (12/02/89)

In article <8911190807.AA09661@sputnik> sun!dyndata!dan@APPLE.COM writes:
>I am running emacs 18.54 under Xenix 2.3.2.  Whenever or wherever I
>type C-g it seems to interrupt all processes that are running under
>emacs.  The shell buffer will print a new prompt, and if a program is
>executing in the shell buffer, that process gets an interrupt signal
>and aborts.  A compilation started with (compile) is interrupted.  The
>time and load display aborts.

I am also running 18.54 under SCO Xenix/386 2.3.2.  I used to have the
same problem, but if I remember correctly it went away by defining
HAVE_PTYS and FIRST_PTY_LETTER in src/s-xenix.h (they are commented
out by default).
--
Andreas Gustafsson
Internet: gson@niksula.hut.fi