[gnu.emacs.bug] "Where is" default

macrakis@marat.osf.fr (Stavros Macrakis) (12/29/89)

GNU Emacs 18.55.1 of Tue Oct 31 1989 on marat (hpux)

I suggest that the default argument for where-is be the most recent
command executed by execute-extended-command.

Even handier, perhaps, would be to have execute-extended-command
always do a where-is to remind you that there is a shortcut, but this
probably costs too much cpu.

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (12/29/89)

Stavros Macrakis writes:
 > GNU Emacs 18.55.1 of Tue Oct 31 1989 on marat (hpux)
 >
 > I suggest that the default argument for where-is be the most recent
 > command executed by execute-extended-command.
 >
 > Even handier, perhaps, would be to have execute-extended-command
 > always do a where-is to remind you that there is a shortcut, but this
 > probably costs too much cpu.

Evan Bigall suggested the latter many months ago, and I wrote a drop-in
replacement for execute-extended-command that implements the idea.  It's
about time for a repost; look for execcmd.el in *.emacs and alt.sources
shortly.