[gnu.emacs.bug] Use ^X^F to create buffers

jslove@starch.enet.dec.com (J. Spencer Love; DTN 237[508-841]-2751; SHR1-3/E29 [A26] 08-Jan-1990 2231) (01/09/90)

The key is "modified buffers with pathnames".

You can associate a pathname with a buffer by using ^X^W, or by creating it
with ^X^F.  If you create a buffer with ^Xb, it has a name but no pathname.
Emacs doesn't know that it is associated with a file.  This is a feature,
because otherwise all sorts of buffers like *Help* would complain on exit.

Use the right tool for the job.
						-- Spencer

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (01/09/90)

J. Spencer Love writes:
 > The key is "modified buffers with pathnames".
 >
 > You can associate a pathname with a buffer by using ^X^W, or by creating it
 > with ^X^F.  If you create a buffer with ^Xb, it has a name but no pathname.
 > Emacs doesn't know that it is associated with a file.  This is a feature,
 > because otherwise all sorts of buffers like *Help* would complain on
 > exit.

The above advice is sound, but since this is a technical newsgroup I
feel compelled to point out that the Lisp variable buffer-offer-save
controls whether Emacs will offer to save a buffer not associated with a
file.

Quoth C-h v buffer-offer-save,

    buffer-offer-save's value is nil

    Documentation:
    *Non-nil in a buffer means offer to save the buffer on exit
    even if the buffer is not visiting a file.  Automatically local in
    all buffers.

If you want Emacs to query about ALL modified buffers before exiting,
put the following line in your .emacs file:

   (setq-default buffer-offer-save t)

You won't be nagged with questions about *Help* & friends because Emacs
is careful to mark these buffers unmodified before presenting them.

kyle jones   <kjones@talos.uu.net>   ...!uunet!talos!kjones
"Give your analytical hemisphere a break now and then...
 it's both a candy *and* a breath mint!"  --- Cam Spillman

catlin@ALLIANT.MCS.ANL.GOV (Bob Catlin) (01/10/90)

Your point is well taken.  "Tools for fools" and all that.  I'm aware of
^X^W and ^X^F, but I guess I was looking for something a little more
mindless.  I have developed some perhaps bad habits.  Often I'll have
several buffers open, since I code different but interdependent code sections
in different files...some new, some old...and it takes a little extra
effort, but not an extrordinary one, to rementb
(oops) remember which is which, etc.  Well, thanks for taking the time
to reply.  I'll use ^X^B to check on status and more ^X^W's.  If you
happen to come up with a more cohesive set of ^X's for future releases
that's great, but I guess I'd rather not have a bunch of new and obscure
features added for people like me.  GNU emacs is a good piece of software.
Thanx.

						Bob