[gnu.emacs.bug] Dumping emacs on an Encore Multimax

lawley@cs.mu.OZ.AU (michael lawley) (03/19/90)

I have compiled Gnu-emacs on our encore and the temacs runs fine.  However,
when it dumps the xemacs, the output file is 4.5Meg! and it doesn't do
anything.  Can anyone tell me what to change in dump to fix this?

mike

jds@mimsy.umd.edu (James da Silva) (03/20/90)

In article <LAWLEY.90Mar19113601@murgon.cs.mu.OZ.AU> lawley@cs.mu.OZ.AU writes:
>I have compiled Gnu-emacs on our encore and the temacs runs fine.  However,
>when it dumps the xemacs, the output file is 4.5Meg! and it doesn't do
>anything.  Can anyone tell me what to change in dump to fix this?
>
>mike

You don't mention what Emacs version nor what kind of Encore you have, but
I had similar problems and the following worked.  It may or may not work
for you.

Read s-umax.h carefully.  At the tail you will find:

/* Encore machines with APC processor boards align sections on 4M
   boundaries, so it is not easy to remap the start of the text segment
   in the unexec() routine.  For them you need the following two lines.
   For DPC processors you can enable these or not, as you wish, but
   you will get better performance without them.  */

/* #define NO_REMAP
   #define TEXT_START 0
*/

What goes for APC also goes for XPC processors.  I uncommented the last two
lines, recompiled, and it worked fine.

Jaime
: domain: jds@cs.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds	 	    Systems Design & Analysis Group