[gnu.emacs] Looking for a Simple Text Editor

pwl@tc.fluke.COM (Paul Lutt) (08/24/88)

I have been asked by one of our users to try to obtain a "simple to
learn and use" visual text editor.  He considers vi and emacs to be
much too complicated for the casual user.  He also considers the PC-
based WordPerfect to be too complicated.

If this particular user had a Sun workstation, I would suggest
something like Sun's textedit tool.  However, the user is stuck with a
VT100 style terminal.

Possible solutions include an emacs profile that provides access to the
most basic functions only.  Perhaps a WordStar mapping.  We have both
Unipress emacs and GNUemacs available.

If you have had the same sort of request and have found a reasonable
solution, I would sure like to hear about it.

As background, the target systems would be Vax 11/780s running Mt. Xinu
MORE/bsd and Sun workstations running SunOS 3.5.2 and SunOS 4.0.

Please mail any replies to me direct and I will pass them along.  Thank
you.
--
	Paul Lutt
Domain:	pwl@tc.fluke.COM

gaynor@athos.rutgers.edu (Silver) (08/24/88)

pwl@tc.fluke.COM (Paul Lutt) writes:
> He considers ... emacs to be much too complicated for the casual user.

This is ridiculous, of course, at least for GNU.  It does what it's programmed
to do, sporting a full-fledged lisp under that pretty exterior.  If the user
thinks it's complicated, then hack things out.  Maybe start a feature-a-week
club, and show the user neat tricks on a weekly basis.

Regards, [Ag] gaynor@rutgers.edu

donr@shark.TEK.COM (Don Riss) (08/24/88)

In article <4912@fluke.COM> pwl@tc.fluke.COM (Paul Lutt) writes:
>I have been asked by one of our users to try to obtain a "simple to
>learn and use" visual text editor.  He considers vi and emacs to be
>much too complicated for the casual user.  He also considers the PC-
>based WordPerfect to be too complicated.

Has anyone written or considered writing a UCSD-Pascal-like editor for
VAX or SUN or whatever?  The UCSD editor will do a lot of things, some
of them the hard way, but its main advantage seems to be that moderately
intelligent seventh-graders can (and have) learned it quite easily.

An aside - I've got to fix my .cshrc - it threw me into (yuk-ptui) vi
to write this note.  I've just found out that J is the way you delete
a CRLF.  Now that's not intuitively obvious to the casual observer...
but may make some wierd sort of sense to the computer scientist who
believes that control-J = LF (sometimes)

DISCALIMER::NOBODY, BUT NOBODY WANTS THESE IDEAS BUT ME, & I'M NOT SURE
            ABOUT ME.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/25/88)

In article <4912@fluke.COM> pwl@tc.fluke.COM (Paul Lutt) writes:

| Possible solutions include an emacs profile that provides access to the
| most basic functions only.  Perhaps a WordStar mapping.  We have both
| Unipress emacs and GNUemacs available.

  If you go with MicroEMACS it will run on the PC and mainframe, too.
Your idea of a limited key mapping is a good one, which I know many
people have used with success. MicroEMACS has a restricted mode which
will prevent remapping keys, by accident or intent. I believe MicroGNU
runs on a PC, too, but I haven't seen the new version (called mg)
running yet, so that's rumor.

  Good luck with your project, and remember that stickon labels for the
keys can reduce the learning curve by a good bit. We use them because
they are cheaper than answering the phone. Casual users seem to have
zero transfer of editing commands into long term memory, so labels
replace learning.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (08/25/88)

In article <2557@shark.TEK.COM> donr@shark.TEK.COM (Don Riss) writes:
<An aside - I've got to fix my .cshrc - it threw me into (yuk-ptui) vi
<to write this note.  I've just found out that J is the way you delete
<a CRLF.  Now that's not intuitively obvious to the casual observer...
<but may make some wierd sort of sense to the computer scientist who
<believes that control-J = LF (sometimes)

J is used to Join two lines.  It adds a space, if necessary, to keep
from running two words together.

Chuck Karish	ARPA:	karish@denali.stanford.edu
		BITNET:	karish%denali@forsythe.stanford.edu
		UUCP:	{decvax,hplabs!hpda}!mindcrf!karish
		USPS:	1825 California St. #5   Mountain View, CA 94041

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (08/25/88)

From article <2557@shark.TEK.COM>, by donr@shark.TEK.COM (Don Riss):
" Has anyone written or considered writing a UCSD-Pascal-like editor for
" VAX or SUN or whatever?  The UCSD editor will do a lot of things, some
" of them the hard way, but its main advantage seems to be that moderately
" intelligent seventh-graders can (and have) learned it quite easily.

The UCSD editor is the easiest to learn I've ever used.  I would also
like to have a similar editor available on unix.
		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide) (08/26/88)

In article <2557@shark.TEK.COM> donr@shark.TEK.COM (Don Riss) writes:
>VAX or SUN or whatever?  The UCSD editor will do a lot of things, some
>of them the hard way, but its main advantage seems to be that moderately
>intelligent seventh-graders can (and have) learned it quite easily.
>
>An aside - I've got to fix my .cshrc - it threw me into (yuk-ptui) vi
>to write this note.  I've just found out that J is the way you delete
>a CRLF.  Now that's not intuitively obvious to the casual observer...

The vi "J" stands for Join lines. In fact ALL vi commands and operators
are single letter mnemonics! (a=Append, b=Back, c=Change, d=Delete, f=Find,
G=Go to, H=Home, i=Insert, J=Join, L=Last line, M=Middle line, n=Next,
o=Open a new line, p=Put back from buffer, r=Replace, s=Substitute,
t=To, u=Undo, w=Word, x=CROSS out, y=Yank into buffer, z=set Zone).
This my eighth-grader son learnt after a few minutes of 'vi' wordprocessing
for a school project... He is (at least) moderately intelligent.

-Bo

--

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (08/28/88)

In article <..@athos.rutgers.edu> gaynor@athos.rutgers.edu (Silver) writes:
>pwl@tc.fluke.COM (Paul Lutt) writes:
>> He considers ... emacs to be much too complicated for the casual user.
>
>...  Maybe start a feature-a-week
>club, and show the user neat tricks on a weekly basis.

Hehee.. that should take about a decade or so to complete huh ?? That
is, assuming a "feature-frozen" gnu-emacs :-) (you missed your smiley)

oz
--
Crud that is not paged	        | Usenet: ...!utzoo!yunexus!oz
is still crud. 			|   ...uunet!mnetor!yunexus!oz