[gnu.emacs] "Where's gnu.misc?"

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/05/88)

In article <2553@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
>It seems to me that there really ought to be a gnu.misc newsgroup.
>Looking at the current list, all the groups refer to GNU products.
>Nothing about the GNU organization, or anything else.  ... Where's
>gnu.misc??

The gnu.* newsgroups, except for gnu.test and gnu.config, are simple
gatewayed reflections of the info-gnu-* mailing lists.  When a list
gets created, a corresponding newsgroup is created.

If I may be so bold as to relate my understanding of the outcome of
the discussions about just such a subject (gnu.misc), there was a
feeling among those at FSF who maintain the mailing lists that (a)
such a group would generate more heat than light and that (b) the
corresponding mailing list would be of too high volume and too low
technical content to be useful.

While it has been rightly observed that "look and feel lawsuit"
discussions don't belong in info-gnu-emacs/gnu.emacs, it didn't seem
profitable to create a designated place for them anywhere, on the
grounds that a lot of useless flameage would only be encouraged.  No
real progress on GNU would result, and that's the purpose of the
mailing lists/newsgroups in the first place.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
UH-OH!!  I put on ``GREAT HEAD-ON TRAIN COLLISIONS of the 50's''
 by mistake!!!

nate@mipos2.intel.com (Nate Hess) (10/06/88)

In article <23560@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, bob@allosaur (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>While it has been rightly observed that "look and feel lawsuit"
>discussions don't belong in info-gnu-emacs/gnu.emacs, it didn't seem
>profitable to create a designated place for them anywhere, on the
>grounds that a lot of useless flameage would only be encouraged.

Hmmm.  Could it be time for alt.gnu?

Followups redirected to alt.config...

--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

woodstock@sc.intel.com    ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|amd}!intelca!mipos3!nate