[gnu.emacs] VAX VMS dired and list-directories merged into 18.52!

Beebe@SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU ("Nelson H.F. Beebe") (10/23/88)

I have successfully merged VMS dired code into GNU Emacs 18.52
from the INFO-EMACS posting for 18.47:

>> Date: 11 Oct 88 14:49:14 GMT
>> From: Jim Patterson <helios!scs!cognos!jimp@uunet.uu.net>
>> Subject: Re: Dired.el for VMS systems?

The code as supplied worked fine when manually loaded, but
did not do so when I rebuilt Emacs, because the fixes
included functions in vms-patch.el which were lost when
dired is invoked.  dired is defined to autoload, and
autoloading it restored the old (UNIX) code.

I have resolved these problems this morning, and used his
code as a guide to providing the other function,
list-directory, missing in VMS.

This has resulted in new dired.el, files.el, vms-patch.el,
and vmsproc.el files which have now been successfully
installed on our VMS and Sun systems, and Emacs rebuilt.

The following files are available for ANONYMOUS FTP
(password GUEST) retrieval on SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU and
CTRSCI.UTAH.EDU:

For VMS folks (total space: 92Kb):
DIRED-FIXES.SHAR1_OF_3.1,11,22-Oct-88 12:13:08,16-Nov-1858 17:00:00,ANONYMOUS
DIRED-FIXES.SHAR2_OF_3.1,18,22-Oct-88 12:13:21,16-Nov-1858 17:00:00,ANONYMOUS
DIRED-FIXES.SHAR3_OF_3.1,8,22-Oct-88 12:13:37,16-Nov-1858 17:00:00,ANONYMOUS

For Unix folks (uncompress and tar xvf, total space 32Kb):
DIRED-FIXES.TARZ.1,16,22-Oct-88 13:21:03,16-Nov-1858 17:00:00,BEEBE

These contain complete files, not difference listings.

The GNU folks at prep.ai.mit.edu are invited to pick these
files up and merge them into the official 18.52
distribution.  Until that happens, readers who do not have
Internet FTP access may send mail to me to request a mailing
of the 3 parts.

After retrieving them to a VMS system, you can

$ append dired-fixes.shar* foo.com /new
$ @foo
$ delete foo.com.

to unbundle them.  They can then be moved to [EMACS.LISP].
Rebuilding Emacs will then give you dired and
list-directories on VAX VMS.

Note that the bundles include a fix to fill.el to support
a fill-prefix containing blanks (e.g. in Fortran mode, it
might be "C     ").  Our site-init.el file is also included;
it is needed to supply the Fortran mode binding.  If you
have made your own site-init file from the original one from
CTRSCI.UTAH.EDU (what you picked up from CC.UTAH.EDU), then
you should merge the differences.  In any event, you should
examine it before deciding what to use from it for your own
site-init.el file.

To facilitate rebuilding Emacs, I prepared the following
REBUILD.COM command file in [EMACS.SRC]:

$ ! VMS command file to run `temacs.exe' and dump the data file `temacs.dump'.
$ if f$search("temacs.dump;") .nes. "" then delete temacs.dump;*
$ temacs :== $emacs_library:[000000]emacs -batch
$ temacs -l inc-vers
$ temacs -l loadup.el dump
$ rename temacs.dump [-]emacs.dump
$ purge [-]emacs.*

After changing any .el files, you first must execute
byte-compile-file on each of them, then rebuild emacs by:

$ set default [emacs.src]
$ @rebuild
-------

nate@mipos2.intel.com (Nate Hess) (10/25/88)

In article <12440519066.27.BEEBE@SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU>, Beebe@SCIENCE ("Nelson H.F. Beebe") writes:
>I have successfully merged VMS dired code into GNU Emacs 18.52
>from the INFO-EMACS posting for 18.47:

Are the good people at OSU going to be making this available via
anonymous UUCP?

--woodstock
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

woodstock@sc.intel.com    ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|amd}!intelca!mipos3!nate

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/26/88)

In article <3079@mipos3.intel.com> woodstock@sc.intel.com (Nate Hess) writes:
>In article <12440519066.27.BEEBE@SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU>, Beebe@SCIENCE ("Nelson H.F. Beebe") writes:
>>I have successfully merged VMS dired code into GNU Emacs 18.52 from
>>the INFO-EMACS posting for 18.47:
>Are the good people at OSU going to be making this available via
>anonymous UUCP?

Well, not being able to find a good person around here (Rom 3:23), I
decided to go and do it myself anyway :-)

Mr Beebe's patches for VMS Dired under 18.52 are on osu-cis for
anonymous UUCP now, as compressed DCL "shar" archives.  As usual, see
GNU.how-to-get for details.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Yow!  We're going to a new disco!