[gnu.emacs] need a quickie macro

phil@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (11/21/88)

I have the GNU Emacs manual and am starting to learn the GNU version of Emacs.
I like it MUCH better than UNIPress Emacs.

There is, however, one thing I'd like to fix ASAP that I hope a macro will
easily do.  I'd like to make ^H (backspace) perform a backspace function
(e.g. move to previous character and delete it).  The help function could
be mapped to some other key.

Can someone write a quickie macro to do this one thing?  I have NO macros
in affect in my directory at the present.  I intend to learn to do this
for myself (as opposed to TOPS-20 where I first learned Emacs and never
intended to write macros in (ugh) TECO).  I could also use this macro as
a simple starting point and example.

Later I'd like to make ^S and ^Q do flow control.  I bet that would be
a little trickier.

dieter (The Demented Teddy Bear) (11/23/88)

In article <64400001@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@uxh writes:

> There is, however, one thing I'd like to fix ASAP that I hope a macro will
> easily do.  I'd like to make ^H (backspace) perform a backspace function
> (e.g. move to previous character and delete it).  The help function could
> be mapped to some other key.

(define-key global-map "\b"     'backward-delete-char-untabify)
(define-key global-map "\eh"    'help-for-help)

Makes backspace the same as delete, help is now M-h (previously bound to
mark-paragraph, not something I use often).

Dieter
--
Welcome to the island.  You are number six.
dieter%nmt@relay.cs.net