[gnu.emacs] server mode on Sys-V.2

erik@mpx2.UUCP (Erik Murrey) (11/20/88)

Does anybody have a good solution for running server mode under Sys-V
without X windows?  I would like to be able to shell out of emacs to
run "rn" or whatever, and use the server to edit my news postings.
The problem that I have is that suspend-emacs puts emacs to sleep, so
calling emacsclient just hangs.  I can't run "rn" or "vnews" through a
inferior shell because emacs tries to post-process the output.  (Also,
a process can't open /dev/tty since it is attached to a pty)

"shl" doesn't work either, because the swtch (^Z) is masked be emacs.

Any help would be great!
--
Erik Murrey                            /|   //  /~~~~/  |  /
MPX Data Systems, Inc.                / | / /  /____/   |/

craig@n8ino.UUCP (R. Craig Peterson ) (11/27/88)

In article <279@mpx2.UUCP> erik@mpx2.UUCP (Erik Murrey) writes:
>Does anybody have a good solution for running server mode under Sys-V
>without X windows?  I would like to be able to shell out of emacs to
>run "rn" or whatever, and use the server to edit my news postings.
>The problem that I have is that suspend-emacs puts emacs to sleep, so
>calling emacsclient just hangs.  I can't run "rn" or "vnews" through a
>inferior shell because emacs tries to post-process the output.  (Also,
>a process can't open /dev/tty since it is attached to a pty)
>
>"shl" doesn't work either, because the swtch (^Z) is masked be emacs.
>
>Any help would be great!

Well, I'm running emacs on a System V Release 2 machine here, and boy
am I hooked!!  (Now that that's out of the way...)

It sounds like I'm doing approximately what you want to do.  The
primary difference seems to be that I use the terminal emulator to run
rn, and then  having set my EDITOR environmental variable, whenever I
hit f, r, or anything requiring an editor, poof, I'm back in the main
emacs in a different buffer.  When I'm done I hit \C-x # and poof, I'm
back in rn.

As I recall I did have to change rn so that he wouldn't try and read
from /dev/tty.  I've got some sort of bug here with my Pty's that I've
never tried to track down.

The key is that Emacs must be running in order for the server to work
correctly, and of course you must have executed "server-start"
somewhere.

As I recall emacs uses message queues to communicate to and from its
servers.

Happy serving...
--
R. Craig Peterson (N8INO)