[gnu.emacs] GNU Emacs

ronald@csuchico.EDU (Ronald Cole) (11/30/88)

In article <8791@wright.mips.COM> earl@wright.mips.com (Earl Killian) writes:
>You seem to be operating under the misconception that emacs is an
>editor.  Emacs is an operating system.  I hope that clears things up.
>--
>UUCP: {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!earl
>USPS: MIPS Computer Systems, 930 Arques Ave, Sunnyvale CA, 94086

That brings an interesting question to mind...  Is GNU Emacs appropriate
as a login shell?  The manual certaintly seems to imply that to be the case.
Has anyone done this?

--
Ronald Cole                             | uucp:     ihnp4!csun!csuchico!ronald
AT&T 3B15/201 System Manager            | PhoneNet: ronald@csuchico.edu

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) (12/01/88)

In article <1138@csuchico.EDU> ronald@csuchico.EDU (Ronald Cole) writes:

   That brings an interesting question to mind...  Is GNU Emacs appropriate
   as a login shell?  The manual certaintly seems to imply that to be the case.
   Has anyone done this?

I haven't and don't plan to, the shell mode is just not complete
enough It might not be so bad if you only had an ascii terminal and
couldn't telnet or rlogin into any place else but if you do windows or
use other computers then it would be horrible.

Now if only emacs could make a window? (ala X) instead of splitting
the screen and had a terminal-emulator with a complete termcap that
other editors could use then maybe.

--

Michael DeCorte // (315)265-2439 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676
Internet: mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  // Bitnet:   mrd@clutx.bitnet

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (12/01/88)

In article <MRD.88Nov30174223@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, mrd@sun (Michael DeCorte) writes:
>Now if only emacs could make a window?

I have heard it rumored that this will come with v19, for X at least.

>and had a terminal-emulator with a complete termcap that
>other editors could use then maybe.

Now why would you want to use any other editor? :-)
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr

mludwig@lehi3b15.UUCP (Mitchell Ludwig ) (12/10/88)

Ok, here we go...

I am attempting to make 18.52 (gnu) work on my Microport 386.  The machine
is running Microport UN*X ver 3.  Internally I've got 2 meg of usable memory.
When I compile the darn thing, everything goes just grand until the makefile
tries to execute ld temacs (and a whole lot of .o files...).  Partway
through the execution of this command I get an error concerning the system's
inability to add the symbol Lisp_Subr to the symbol table and then I get
gonged.  I'm using the m-intel386.h and the s-usg-5-3.h in my config.h.
My question is, HELP!  How come?  I have a friend using the freakin thing in
SCO's Xenix (if this is a plug for XENIX, sorry :-) and he had none of the
problems I'm having.  In fact, it was the ease with which he compiled the
thing which led me to give it a shot.

So, does anyone

	1) Have any idea why it gongs me here and with that error?

	2) Have Gnu running on Microport?

	and 3) know of either an m or s file for my config which is
		more compatable with Microport.  Also, if I'm gonna need
		to re-map my keyboard, has anyone done it yet?

	Any help is appreciated...  You can reply to me here or
	directly to :

UUCP : ...!lehi3b15!rastro!mfl or 	...!lehi3b15!mludwig

		or for you internet and bitnet dudes

Internet : KMFLUDW@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu	Bitnet : MFL1@lehigh.bitnet

			Mitch

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (12/11/88)

In <429@lehi3b15.UUCP>, mludwig@lehi3b15.UUCP (Mitchell Ludwig ) wrote:

> So, does anyone [...] Have Gnu running on Microport?

GNU emacs 18.52 works fine under uPort unix, at least my 2.2 version.
I'll send Mitchell (and anyone else) my config.h, .emacs, and a
program I wrote to re-map the AT keyboard to something more useful for
emacs and ksh.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen      james@bigtex.cactus.org      "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 338-8789       9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759

jxw@RODS.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (John Willis) (12/13/88)

	Several weeks ago I was able to compile GNU-Emacs 18.52 under
Microport 3.0 and /bin/cc.  You need to be careful because the LISP
files default to loading a compiled version (.elc) rather than a pure
ASCII source version (.el).  Somewhere along the transmission path,
if you assume that the source is all ASCII, these compiled files will
probably be corrupted.  There is a simple fix, as documented by
Stallman in the release notes.

	1) Increase the amount of memory allocated to pure lisp
		(I think the define is at the end of config.h).

	2) Recompile (only alloc.o is probably sufficient, check).

	3) Delete all of the .elc files from the LISP directory.

	4) Load the new temacs, defaulting to .el representations.

	5) Recompile .el files into .elc files (something like
	   byte-compile-directory ../Lisp)

	6) Reduce the pure lisp storage (reversing (1) above).

	7) Rebuild emacs, loading the .elc files by default.

Like the other GNU tools, this is an excellent editor.  It's worth a
little effort.  If this doesn't get you a running Emacs 18.52, I'll
try to help.

-John

--

mludwig@lehi3b15.UUCP (Mitchell Ludwig ) (12/14/88)

In article <11544@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>GNU emacs 18.52 works fine under uPort unix, at least my 2.2 version.
>I'll send Mitchell (and anyone else) my config.h, .emacs, and a
>program I wrote to re-map the AT keyboard to something more useful for
>emacs and ksh.

	James, thanks alot for your help.  Believe me it made life alot
	easier.  The remap is real nice.  But (there is *ALWAYS* a but),
	I am now having a new problem.  I'm now a happy user of GNU 18.52,
	well, almost happy.  RMAIL hates me.  My system is hooked via
	uucp to an internet gateway of sorts.  It's also hooked to another
	independent machine.  I can't talk to either of them.  I can originate
	messages to either, but responding aint a happy time.  The 3b15
	(which is my internet host) mails to me with the extension of
	@lehi3b15.UUCP which my mailer hates.  I guess it's the @ sign.
	Any help there?  And with ubu, the indep. machine, all mail from
	him seems to be coming from my uucp account, and rmail replies
	to it there.  So I'm in deep kaka and sinking fast into the mud.

	Any help is appreciated...

			Mitch
			...!lehi3b15!mludwig
			...!lehi3b15!rastro!mfl (but don't expect
						 a reply :-)

mdt@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (M.D. Templeton GEC ) (12/16/88)

o Item 1
  I have emacs v 18.45, on a Sun 3/50 and have a teeny weeny problem.
  If I use the mouse in suntools, say with two emacs windows displayed,
  to select an emacs menu option, say to expand the current window,
  the message I get is:

Invalid function: (macro lambda (window &rest forms) "Switch to WINDOW, evaluate FORMS, return to original window." (byte-code .....

  The dots were my idea!

  The function does seem to be performed, though. I also can't get any effect
  from the middle mouse-key.

  Any ideas, fixes, patches????

o Item 2:
  Does anyone in the UK or Europe have a copy of emacs 18.52, and the will
  to put it on a tape for me (I'll supply the tape of course).

  Similarly, anyone over here got the other FSF programs, and/or a
  system for getting updates/new versions as they come available??

o Thanks in advance for help with both of these items.

		Mark D Templeton (The Druid)

Janet: mdt@uk.ac.uea.cs
Voice: 0603-56161 x 2308 (UEA)
       0634-44433 x 60   (GEC)
       0634-364150       (home - 18-Dec-88 to 3-Jan-89)

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (12/16/88)

In article <291@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk>, mdt@s1 (M.D. Templeton GEC ) writes:
>o Item 1
>  I have emacs v 18.45, on a Sun 3/50 and have a teeny weeny problem.
>  If I use the mouse in suntools, say with two emacs windows displayed,
>  to select an emacs menu option, say to expand the current window,
>  the message I get is:
>
>Invalid function: (macro lambda (window &rest forms) "Switch to WINDOW, evaluate FORMS, return to original window." (byte-code .....

This is one of those problems that crop up from time to time.

What happened is that one of the sun-*.el files was byte-copmiled
without the proper macro definitions having been made first.  Though I
have 18.52, it appears that the macro in question is eval-in-window,
which is used in sun-fns.el and sun-mouse.el, and defined at thge top
of the latter.  The error you got is that the macro definition was
called as a function, which doesn't work.

The fix is to load the file defining the macro before byte-compiling
files that use the macro.  In your case, connect to the emacs/lisp
directory and do the sequence:

  (load-file "sun-mouse.el")
  (byte-compile-file "sun-mouse.el")
  (byte-compile-file "sun-fns.el")

or the equivalent interactive calls.  Check first that the defmacro in
question is in sun-mouse.el, as 18.45 may differ from 18.52.  To be
safe, you may want to load-file on all the sun-*.el files and
byte-compile them all.  Do all the load-files first.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr

mdt@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (M.D. Templeton GEC ) (12/16/88)

Another one..
Emacs has a terminal emulator. As I need a vt100 terminal emulator for
a Sun 3/60, I thought this a good idea. However, the emacs terminal
emulator seems to emulate some unknown terminal type. Does anyone
have the lisp to make a VT100 version?? Alternatively, any suggestions
as to how I can get vt100 emulation through suntools, or anything else??

ps. Although I have emacs 18.45, I only have the manual/info files for
version 17.

		Mark D Templeton (The Druid)