[gnu.emacs] gcc, emacs for MIPS cpu

johns@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (John Sahr) (01/21/89)

We are considering purchase of the PMAX workstation, which
runs ULTRIX exclusively.

Has anyone gotten gcc, emacs and other GNU software running
on the PMAX in particular, or other MIPS cpu machines in
general?  We are also interested in other GNU software,
but emacs is pre eminent.

Thanks.  Please email- if responses warrant I'll summarize.

John
--
John Sahr,                          School of Elect. Eng.,  Upson Hall
                                    Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853

ARPA: johns@calvin.ee.cornell.edu; UUCP: {rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!johns

johns@CALVIN.EE.CORNELL.EDU (John Sahr) (01/21/89)

Thanks for the reply

John

treese@athena.mit.edu (Win Treese) (01/21/89)

In article <904@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> johns@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (John Sahr) writes:
>We are considering purchase of the PMAX workstation, which
>runs ULTRIX exclusively.

It's a nice machine.

>Has anyone gotten gcc, emacs and other GNU software running
>on the PMAX in particular, or other MIPS cpu machines in
>general?  We are also interested in other GNU software,
>but emacs is pre eminent.

The Ultrix "unsupported software" distribution contains GNUemacs 18.5x
(sorry, I don't remember the exact minor version number).  It's built
to run with DECwindows (X11).

As for the compiler, I haven't heard about a port of gcc yet (though I'm
sure there will be one).  The C compiler shipped with the machine is
very good, however (it was done by MIPS).

As for other GNU software, most of what's available now should build and
run fairly cleanly.  Porting to the DECstation 3100 from VAX/Ultrix is
very straightforward.

Win Treese					Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com				Digital Equipment Corporation

johns@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (John Sahr) (01/23/89)

I have received several responses to my query about GNU software for the
new DEC workstation.

Emacs:  At least one respondent claims to have 18.51 running.  In fact,
Emacs 18.5x (18.51 perhaps) is distributed as unsupported software.

gcc: None of the respondents claimed to have gcc running.  Part of the
appeal of the PMAX seems to be that DEC used "MIPS' compiler technology."
(I don't know enough to expound upon compilers).

One person claimed that
>As for other GNU software, most of what's available now should build and
>run fairly cleanly.  Porting to the DECstation 3100 from VAX/Ultrix is
>very straightforward.

I apologize for the "thanks for the reply" posting, which was intended to
be email.  The mail bounced, and somehow got posted, but not by me, so I
couldn't cancel it.

John