[gnu.emacs] Another vi feature I miss.

cantrell@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Keith Cantrell) (03/12/89)

In article <7494@killer.Dallas.TX.US> cantrell@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Keith Cantrell) writes:
>A vi feature I miss is the way vi keep track of where the cursor is
>as you move up and down lines.  In vi if I am on column 30 and move
>to a line that only has 10 character on it, the cursor goes to the
>end of the line, but when I get to a line that has more than 30
>characters on it, the cursor will go back to column 30.  Emacs
>on the other hand will either, stay at column 10 and eventually
>go to the beginning of the line when I hit on empty line and stay
>there, or I can set some variable to make it track the end of the line,
>but that's not what I want.  Has anybody every hacked the
>sources to change this?

I guess my version of emacs (GNUEMACS VERSION 18.52) is broke.  I have checked
the variables "goal-column" and "track-eol" and they are both nil, but
the cursor still does not do what I want it to.  The version I have runs
on an Apollo so I guess I need to ask Leonard N. Zubkoff to see if he knows what the
problem since it appears to be only happening to me.

Type at you later,

Keith

Keith Cantrell                Phones:  hm: 214-492-1088
Integrated Telecom                     wk: 214-234-3340

USMAIL:                       EMAIL:
2100 Sonata Ln                cantrell@killer.DALLAS.TX.US
Carrollton TX 75007                   or
                  ...!uunet!{killer | texsun | letni}!dalitc!keith