[gnu.emacs] Query: Interesting Applications of Emacs

salzman@RAND.ORG (Isaac) (03/13/89)

[this was also posted to comp.emacs]

Hello netland! Does anyone really use Emacs as a login shell? Do you have
any particularly interesting applications of Emacs? We all know that Emacs
is more than just an editor. Many people read their e-mail, netnews and do
all sorts of other things in Emacs.  Do you do anything unique and different
with Emacs? Is so, please reply to this message via direct e-mail to the
address below. Thanks!!

--
* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
* The RAND Corporation - Information Sciences Dept.          /o o/  /

sethr@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) (03/14/89)

In article <1908@randvax.UUCP> salzman@rand.org (Isaac Salzman) writes:
>Hello netland! Does anyone really use Emacs as a login shell?
>* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----

If it wern't for ksh, I might actually do that IF emacs had job
control!!  When you can't suspend or background or even cancel(!) a
job, the shell mode isn't really usuable.

Of course if I just havn't RTFM (I have, though) and there is a way to
use job control, then please tell me.

						-Seth
						 seth@ctr.columbia.edu

In article <1296@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> seth@ctr.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) writes:
>If it wern't for ksh, I might actually do that IF emacs had job
>control!!  When you can't suspend or background or even cancel(!) a
>job, the shell mode isn't really usuable.

All the special shell-mode commands are listed by C-h m (the command
to describe the current major mode) while in shell mode.  C-c C-c
kills the current job, C-c C-z suspends it, etc.  The standard
definitions of these have trouble when the jobs are setuid, though,
since they work by actually sending a signal.  I've got modified
versions that simply shove a C-c or C-z through the pty.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

mac@mrk.ardent.com (Michael McNamara) (03/15/89)

In article <1296@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> seth@ctr.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) writes:
|In article <1908@randvax.UUCP> salzman@rand.org (Isaac Salzman) writes:
|>Hello netland! Does anyone really use Emacs as a login shell?
|>* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
|
|If it wern't for ksh, I might actually do that IF emacs had job
|control!!  When you can't suspend or background or even cancel(!) a
|job, the shell mode isn't really usuable.
|
|Of course if I just havn't RTFM (I have, though) and there is a way to
|use job control, then please tell me.
+---------You asked:
	All the job control of the underlying shell is available; if
that shell is ksh or csh, then C-z, bg & fg all work ( albeit you'll
have to quote the C-z via C-q C-z, or use the Shell mode mapping of
"C-c C-z stop-shell-subjob". {from help on shell-mode} )

	Interrupt works for every shell I know of: either C-q C-c or
"C-c C-c interrupt-shell-subjob" {from help on shell-mode}

	This info, and helpful hints about any mode you are in is
available via C-h m.  C-h m should perhaps be used before you RTFM, as
it is a much more immediate and directed a form of help; it tells you
*NOW* about the mode you are in *NOW*.  R'ingTFM losses due to having
to find the FM, and having to find the pertinate information in the
FM.
	[ Note: C-h m means hit control H then m. ]

	Note also that there are further ksh'isms available for
shell.el that make things like C-c C-p scroll through your shell
history just like j or C-p do in ksh(1). If you want this, ask here
and someone will post this.

+---------------------------------

|						-Seth
|						 seth@ctr.columbia.edu
+---------------------------------

Michael McNamara
  mac@ardent.com

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (03/19/89)

In article <37506@think.UUCP>, barmar@think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
> In article <1296@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> seth@ctr.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) writes:
> versions that simply shove a C-c or C-z through the pty.

What is the difference between using pty's and using pipes for emacs
subprocesses?
--
Dave Arnold			...!uunet!ccicpg!arnold!dave
Volt Delta Resources		dave@arnold.volt.com (714) 921-7635

In article <430@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>What is the difference between using pty's and using pipes for emacs
>subprocesses?

There are some programs that care whether they are being used
interactively or as part of a pipeline, using isatty() to check
whether the output is going to a terminal.  Shell mode uses a pty so
that they will know that they are being used interactively.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar