[gnu.emacs] Interesting comments on GNU Emacs

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (04/05/89)

Seen just now in comp.editors...

From: m1tag00@fed.frb.gov (Tim A. Grunwald)
Newsgroups: comp.edu,comp.editors,comp.cog-eng
Subject: Re: Advice sought on editors
Date: 5 Apr 89 15:11:50 GMT

	The Research and Statistics division of the Federal Reserve
Board, has recently ported many mainframe applications to a Sun
network.  SPF has been the editor of choice on the mainframe.  The
editor we chose for the Sun network was Gnu Emacs.
	Gnu Emacs can be difficult to learn if not approached in the correct
manner.  We rebound common editing commands to function keys, including
their shifted and controlled settings.  Clear function key templates
were designed and given to each user, along with reference cards and
the Gnu Emacs manual.  Most everyone was able to use Gnu Emacs
productively using just the function key template.  With the great on
line help facility (including the whole GNU Emacs manual) users can
master the more complicated commands at their own speed.
	We have found GNU Emacs to be a relatively easy editor for
novice users to pick up quickly.

	Tim Grunwald
	Federal Reserve Board, Washington, DC, 20551
	uucp: uunet!fed!m1tag00   internet: m1tag00@fed.frb.gov