[gnu.emacs] Function keys in Sunview Emacs

wilensky@aaet.csc.ti.com (Harold Wilensky) (04/07/89)

Does anyone know how to make use of the function keys in Emacs running
under Sunview? We would like assign functionality to some of the
function keys but have not determined how to specify a function key.

For example I would like to use global-set-key to make the F1 key do
something. How do I specify the F1 key.

--Harold Wilensky, TI

vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) (04/08/89)

I tried mail but it bounced:

In article <8904062011.AA04566@aaet.> wilensky@aaet.csc.ti.com (Harold Wilensky) writes:

   Does anyone know how to make use of the function keys in Emacs running
   under Sunview? We would like assign functionality to some of the
   function keys but have not determined how to specify a function key.

   For example I would like to use global-set-key to make the F1 key do
   something. How do I specify the F1 key.

   --Harold Wilensky, TI

The way I do it is M-x describe-key (which I bound to C-x?).

Then hit the function key and look below the mode line.  It will tell
you what the sequence is like C-x*et for the F5 key.  In my .emacs
file I assign a few keys this way:

(global-set-key "\C-x*bt" 'eval-defun)

There is probably a better way but...  Also be careful when you bind
these as other packages may (and do) set them the way they want them.
I use window-setup-hook to bind them, hopefully after everything else
is loaded.

BTW on my Sun the F1 key is trapped by sunview, I think caps lock or
something stupid.  I don't know how to untrap it.  The other F keys
and R keys are re-bindable I believe.  I don't think the L keys are
easy though....

Hope this helps...

"The crux of the biscuit, is the apostrophe" -- This is the dog talking...
 _____
 -----

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (04/10/89)

In article <468@atlas.tegra.UUCP>, vail@tegra (Johnathan Vail) writes:
>In article <8904062011.AA04566@aaet.> wilensky@aaet.csc.ti.com (Harold Wilensky) writes:
>   For example I would like to use global-set-key to make the F1 key do
>   something. How do I specify the F1 key.
>
>   --Harold Wilensky, TI
>
>The way I do it is M-x describe-key (which I bound to C-x?).
>
>Then hit the function key and look below the mode line.  It will tell
>you what the sequence is like C-x*et for the F5 key.

This won't work if the sequence is unbound (some of it may end up in
your buffer).  Easier is to go to a buffer you don't mind trashing and
type control-Q followed by the function key.  The ESC will
self-insert, followed by the rest of the sequence (which should all be
printing chars).  ESC will look like ^[ in the buffer.

Another choice is to simply hit the function key (when looking at a
trashable buffer) and then type ^H l (view lossage), which will show
you a history of your recent keystrokes, printed in a "pretty" fashion.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr