[gnu.emacs] Anything You Can Do...

jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (04/15/89)

<<The keyboard on my home computer has the single quote key where the ESC key
should be...  Is there any way in Gnu Emacs to switch the bindings of these two
keys...?>>

<Try putting the following into your ~/.emacs...>

Just what I was thinking, as I've done this to swap backspace with rubout, but
here's a question:  why must you rebuild the entire list from scratch?  Note
that the example given undoes any backspace/rubout swap that was put in
site-init.el.  I've tried:

	(aset keyboard-translate-table ?\177 ?\010)
	(aset keyboard-translate-table ?\010 ?\177)

which didn't work, probably because keyboard-translate-table is a list rather
than an string.  Other than using some ungodly combination of cons/car/cdr, is
there some way to index into and modify keyboard-translate-table without
building it from scratch?

:::::: Jan Steinman - N7JDB		   Electronic Systems Laboratory ::::::
:::::: jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM	      Box 500, MS 50-370 (w)503/627-5881 ::::::
:::::: jsteinma@caip.RUTGERS.EDU     Beaverton, OR 97077 (h)503/657-7703 ::::::

huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Kathryn Huxtable) (04/17/89)

In article <4943@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:
> here's a question:  why must you rebuild the entire list from scratch?  Note
> that the example given undoes any backspace/rubout swap that was put in
> site-init.el.  I've tried:
>
> 	(aset keyboard-translate-table ?\177 ?\010)
> 	(aset keyboard-translate-table ?\010 ?\177)
>
> which didn't work, probably because keyboard-translate-table is a list rather
> than an string.  [stuff deleted]

It *is* a string.  It's just that by default the variable's value is
nil and no translation is done.  I suppose this gains speed (?).  If
the value is set, then the translation is done.  Look at the
documentation on the variable for a coherent description (C-H C-V).

-Kathryn Huxtable
huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu,
who always gets her $.02 in last because she's far from the centers of netland.