[gnu.emacs] load won't display in Gnu Emacs

dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) (04/21/89)

I tried this once before and didn't get an answer, so here goes again.

We have Gnu 18.53 under SOS (Sun OS) 4.0.1.  When users invoke
display-time, the modeline says "time and load" briefly, then displays
only the time.  If the superuser runs Gnu it *does* display the time
and load.

What's wrong?  Is there something obvious I've missed?

Thanks in advance,

dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd

--

gangolli@wolvesden.Stanford.EDU (Anil R. Gangolli) (04/21/89)

In article <24241@beta.lanl.gov> dd@beta.lanl.gov (Dan Davison) writes:
  >I tried this once before and didn't get an answer, so here goes again.
  >
  >We have Gnu 18.53 under SOS (Sun OS) 4.0.1.  When users invoke
  >display-time, the modeline says "time and load" briefly, then displays
  >only the time.  If the superuser runs Gnu it *does* display the time
  >and load.
  >
  >What's wrong?  Is there something obvious I've missed?

In the emacs etc library, the program loadst that gets the
load info for display-time needs to have access to kernel
memory (/dev/kmem).  To give it this access:
	1) become superuser
	2) use chgrp to put loadst
	   in the group kmem (this should be the group to which the file
	   /dev/kmem belongs).
	3) Then do "chmod g+s loadst".  This says,
	   when loadst runs, it will run with the access priveleges of
	   its group, which you've just set to be kmem.

Now things should work for non-superusers too.
--anil.

ecphssrw@robin.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (04/29/89)

The difficulty with display-time is that it shows the output of the
program $emacs/etc/loadst, which reads /dev/kmem.  Under 4.2+ BSD and
similar Sun/OS releases, /dev/kmem became mode 640, owned by user root
and group kmem, as a security feature.  So, loadst must either be
changed to not read /dev/kmem, or (as we've done here) installed as
setgid kmem.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu