^_
From: ...

in them, as well as "*** EOOH ***", and so forth.

	I have two questions.  It doesn't seem likely to me that this
is emacs' fault.  Any thoughts, though, on what might be causing this?
(I'm hardly a novice emacs user.)

	Second, any thoughts on how to take several such appended
messages and split them up again?  In the past I have simply written
them (using write-region) individually, deleted the message, and then
read them back using rmail-input (i).  This is a pain when you
discover that ten or twenty messages have been so appended.

--
----------
Jeff Abrahamson			jma@abel.uucp, abel!jma@manta.pha.pa.us

jma@abel.UUCP (Jeff Abrahamson) (05/27/89)

In article <409@abel.UUCP> jma@abel.UUCP (Jeff Abrahamson) writes:

> 	It has happened to me a couple times that when I refile an
> article in RMAIL using rmail-output-to-rmail-file (o), the message gets
> appended to the last message in the file (rather than being appended
> as another message in the file).  This means I get messages with
>
> [end of prev. message]
> ^_
> From: ...
>
> in them, as well as "*** EOOH ***", and so forth.

	I now think I know what causes the problem.  Imagine the
following:

	I have an emacs format mail file, ~/Mail/foo, created with
RMAIL.  Say it has three messages in it.  Now I send a message with an
Fcc: ~/Mail/foo.  That message gets appended to foo in UNIX format
(or, at least, not emacs format).  If I now read in foo, it gets
converted, since emacs looks at the last message in the file.  But if
I append an emacs format message (with rmail-output-to-rmail-file),
the last file will be the correct format, so emacs won't convert it.
I think this is at least roughly what is happenning, at least at the
level of what *I'm* doing.

	I still don't know any good fix for it, though.  Thoughts from
the net?

--