[gnu.emacs] gnu on SCO xenix286?

root@compugen.UUCP (System PRIVILEGED Account) (05/29/89)

I have the emacs src distribution as it comes with Ultrix 3.0. Is it
technically feasible to attempt to Make emacs in SCO 286 xenix with 640K ram?

terry@tah386.UUCP (Terry Hull) (06/01/89)

In article <1334@compugen.UUCP> root@compugen.UUCP (System PRIVILEGED Account) writes:
>I have the emacs src distribution as it comes with Ultrix 3.0. Is it
>technically feasible to attempt to Make emacs in SCO 286 xenix with 640K ram?

In short NO WAY.  GNU Emacs has an array of 110K 4byte integers that
it uses for lisp storage.  Even if you could get it ported to a '286
it would be too slow to use.  I recommend using one of the versions of
MicroEmacs or Jove for a '286.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University