[gnu.emacs] 18.53 under SunOS 4.0

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (06/02/89)

I'm trying to get version 18.53 of GNU emacs up on a Sun 3 running SunOS 4.0.
(I hope to be getting 18.54 patches shortly).  I'm not terribly familiar with
the differences between BSD and SunOS, and have run into a problem with
(apparently) I/O control.  The first symptom was temacs hanging during the
make.  When I executed the make commands by hand, there was no problem.  The
final emacs executable hangs in a similar fashion when running under `sh' but
not `csh.'  This behaviour was *not* observed with a version compiled under
BSD.  Anyone have some helpful suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"

jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) (06/02/89)

From article <10233@claris.com>, by wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey):
> (apparently) I/O control.  The first symptom was temacs hanging during the
> make.  When I executed the make commands by hand, there was no problem.  The
> final emacs executable hangs in a similar fashion when running under `sh' but
> not `csh.'  This behaviour was *not* observed with a version compiled under
> BSD.  Anyone have some helpful suggestions?

	We're running on Sun3's with SunOS 4.  I can't give you a bug fix
because I don't have one, but I can tell you that this happened to me (just
so you realize that you aren't crazy!).  I built 18.53 (from scratch!) fine
for about 60 times in a row.  When I finally got it the way I liked it, I
moved the libraries, etc. (no, i didn't forget to change my paths.h)  and
noticed the bug you mentioned:  temacs hangs when i do make, but works fine
when i do it manually.

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (06/03/89)

In article <3149@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, jk0@sun (Jason Coughlin) writes:
>From article <10233@claris.com>, by wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey):
>> (apparently) I/O control.  The first symptom was temacs hanging during the
>> make.  When I executed the make commands by hand, there was no problem.  The
>> final emacs executable hangs in a similar fashion when running under `sh' but
>> not `csh.'  This behaviour was *not* observed with a version compiled under
>> BSD.  Anyone have some helpful suggestions?
>
>	We're running on Sun3's with SunOS 4.  I can't give you a bug fix
>because I don't have one, but I can tell you that this happened to me (just
>so you realize that you aren't crazy!).  I built 18.53 (from scratch!) fine
>for about 60 times in a row.  When I finally got it the way I liked it, I
>moved the libraries, etc. (no, i didn't forget to change my paths.h)  and
>noticed the bug you mentioned:  temacs hangs when i do make, but works fine
>when i do it manually.

Apparently make evaluates its rules by passing them to sh.

Sounds like the ol' setpgrp() bug one more time (yeah!).  This bug
crept in in 18.53, and crept back out again in 18.54.  Apply the
following patch from the diff-18.53-18.54 file:
--------
diff -rc2N dist-18.53/src/emacs.c dist-18.54/src/emacs.c
*** dist-18.53/src/emacs.c	Sat Feb 18 09:03:50 1989
--- dist-18.54/src/emacs.c	Mon Mar 13 16:41:29 1989
***************
*** 225,232 ****
  #endif HIGHPRI

- #ifdef BSD
-   /* interrupt_input has trouble if we aren't in a separate process group.  */
-   setpgrp (getpid (), getpid ());
- #endif

-   inhibit_window_system = 0;
--- 225,227 ----

--------
--
/jr, nee John Robinson   What a waste it is to lose one's mind--or not
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr      to have a mind.  How true that is. -Dan Quayle