[gnu.emacs] problems with 18.54 distribution/patches

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (05/20/89)

In <872@apctrc.UUCP> zjat02@apctrc.trc.amoco.com (Jon A. Tankersley) writes:
> Something is sorely broken in 18.54 distribution (as found on uunet) and
> patches.  At least for Sun3 under SunOS 4.0.1:  Some of these could be
> attributed to other misc. patches, but not all.  Anybody got any ideas?

My idea is that it is the uunet copy which is "sorely broken".  I
applied the 18.53-18.54 patches to our 18.53 source with minimal
difficulty and recompiled without problem.  Sun3, SunOS 4.0.1.  Since
this distribution has been out for a few weeks now I think that this
matter would have been brought up a while ago if the problem existed
in a wide-spread context.  (Suns and 4.0.1 are pretty common on the
net ...)

The only patch I had to add besides the distribution patches were one
for X menus which fixed a rather nasty problem of Emacs freezing up if
a menu was requested.  (Speaking of which, Simon Brock I have been
trying to get J Dean Brock's patch for this problem to you for over a
week; the nfsnet-relay on your side of the ocean is complaining about
some bad authorisation thing.  Can you provide some sort of reliable
way to get mail to you?)

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))
 (error "UUCP not spoken here.  Long bang paths unlikely to get mail replies.")

yvw@gmdzi.UUCP (Yvo Van Wezemael) (05/22/89)

From article <TALE.89May20013706@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu>, by tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence):

> The only patch I had to add besides the distribution patches were one
> for X menus which fixed a rather nasty problem of Emacs freezing up if
> a menu was requested.

I have encountered the same problem with X menus, the rest works just fine. Did
I miss a patch for X menus? Would someone be so kind to mail the
patch(es) to me or post them?

	---	Yvo Van Wezemael
--
Yvo Van Wezemael:
	German National Research Laboratory for Computer Science (GMD)

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (06/04/89)

In article <TALE.89May20013706@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu>, tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
> In <872@apctrc.UUCP> zjat02@apctrc.trc.amoco.com (Jon A. Tankersley) writes:
> > Something is sorely broken in 18.54 distribution (as found on uunet) and
> > patches.  At least for Sun3 under SunOS 4.0.1:  Some of these could be
> > attributed to other misc. patches, but not all.  Anybody got any ideas?
>
> My idea is that it is the uunet copy which is "sorely broken".

The uunet "copy" is exactly that. It is an EXACT image copy of
emacs-18.54.tar.Z from prep.ai.mit.edu.

Do us all a favor and shut up when you don't know what you are talking about.
("imagine" is a fitting machine for you to be using...)

---rick

(I even got a fresh copy from prep tonight to verify it. What
we have is identical to whats on prep)

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (06/05/89)

In <TALE.89May20013706@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> I wrote:
Me> My idea is that it is the uunet copy which is "sorely broken".

In article <56766@uunet.UU.NET> rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
Rick> The uunet "copy" is exactly that. It is an EXACT image copy of
Rick> emacs-18.54.tar.Z from prep.ai.mit.edu.

I would like to make a public apology for my poor choice of
wording/quoting in my follow-up article.  It can apparently be
misinterpreted in such a way as to shed bad light on uunet and how
well they maintain distributions; I most certainly did not intend to
imply such a slur to Rick and the rest of the uunet crew.  I apologize
to those readers who were misled/offended by it.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))